New Guy Could Use Some Help

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Bogner Bro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Guy Could Use Some Help

Post by Bogner Bro » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:25 am

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue that's been driving me nuts. I have a Fender Jaguar American Reissue that's been fairly noisy lately. Today I finally had the time to look it over. I verified that my amp, cable, and power source aren't to blame. I also tested all the components for proper grounding. The odd part is that the noise itself only occurs when the strangle/mid cut switch is in the up position. As soon as I engage the switch the noise goes away. The noise itself doesn't sound like a ground hum or a dirty connection somewhere. It sounds more like excessively noisy single coils. (which I guess technically it currently has) I've sprayed all the switches with contact cleaner, and I've checked the output jack and it appears to be fine. When the guitar is in he rhythm mode it's completely silent, and the volume and tone rollers work perfectly. I haven't played this guitar for quite awhile and I'd really like to begin enjoying it again. If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Guy Could Use Some Help

Post by Embenny » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:03 am

Bogner Bro wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:25 am
The odd part is that the noise itself only occurs when the strangle/mid cut switch is in the up position. As soon as I engage the switch the noise goes away.
Just to clarify, the strangle switch is engaged when it's in the up position (toward the strings). I assume you mean that it goes away when you disengage the switch (away from the strings).

If that's the case, there are only three real possibilities. Either something is wrong with the switch itself, something is wrong with the bass cut capacitor (the only component that gets switched in and out of the circuit), or something is wrong with the connections between the components.

Are you competent with a multimeter and soldering iron? You can confirm the switch is working properly by using the continuity feature of the multimeter. The centre lug of the switch should be continuous with the lug above or below it on the same side, depending on switch position:

You can also trace the wires to make sure everything is connected as it should be, and measure the capacitance of the strangle cap to check that it's within spec.

As someone with a drawer full of switches and caps, my next step would be to just replace both of them, since they're inexpensive and easy to solder.

If everything measures ok with the switch and cap, I'd be looking for things like cold solder joints or accidental connection points (like a component accidentally touching something grounded).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Bogner Bro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Bogner Bro » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:53 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll definitely be looking into what you recommended later today. I have both a multimeter and a soldering iron. I've been checking continuity as I go, mainly for ground issues. The switch itself seems to be okay. I noticed my pickup/strangle switch circuit isn't quite the same as the wiring diagram I have from Fender. I don't think anyone messed with it before I got it, but who knows. If I could figure out how to post a photo I'd do so. Is it common for the capacitor to fail? I've never had to replace one in a guitar before. Thanks again.

Edit: Here's a photo. Sorry it's the best I can do currently

https://i.postimg.cc/7hQR7sV8/20221206-142159.jpg

Norrin Radd
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Norrin Radd » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:36 pm

You say it’s been fairly noisy “lately“. Was there a period of time previously where it wasn’t as noisy? Or has it been so long since you played it that perhaps your memory is not accurate as to how quiet it was before? I’m just curious. Just trying to help here.

Also, are you playing it through a different amplifier than you had previously? Anything else in the chain between the guitar and the amp?

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:49 pm

Bogner Bro
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Bogner Bro » Thu Dec 08, 2022 2:26 am

It has been awhile since I played this guitar. I'm using the same amp I previously used and it's definitely noisier than it was previously. I've checked, and rechecked my cable, amp, power source, and surrounding area for anything that could be causing interference. I cleaned up/reflowed all the solder joints in the lead circuit, as well as tested the bridge pickup with my multi meter. I triple checked all the grounding and pulled the bridge to ensure the ground wire was making adequate contact. There's nothing between the guitar and the amp other than my cable. I'm going to give it a break for a few days and reevaluate the issue over the weekend when I'm not quite as busy with other aspects of my life. Thanks for the replies. I seriously appreciate it.