Anyone tried the Bensonite bridge yet?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
RoaringTwenties
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Anyone tried the Bensonite bridge yet?

Post by RoaringTwenties » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:40 pm

Thoughts, reviews?

IceBlueBoogaloo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Anyone tried the Bensonite bridge yet?

Post by IceBlueBoogaloo » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:44 am

Crazy as it might sound to some, I’m considering selling my Staytrem to pick up one of these. Though that’s mainly because the new neck I’m swapping in is a 9.5” and my Staytrem is 7.25”. It looks like a really solid piece of kit.

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:55 am

It looks pretty good. I had not heard of that one.

I do prefer the offset hex adjustment for intonation on the Staytrem though, and if I buy a new offset bridge it will need to be 7.25”.

RoaringTwenties
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by RoaringTwenties » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:10 pm

...the textured saddle grooves for better string grip seems like a nice feature.

forestgreen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by forestgreen » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:04 pm

I got the installation video recommended on my Youtube feed a couple of weeks ago. It seems pretty well designed and priced.

mattc
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mattc » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 am

I just got mine. I was surprised how it made the tone less trebly - which is a good thing. I have a 40th Anniv JM

lyair
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lyair » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm

Just checked this brand. Their offset bridge design looks simple and great, along with a reasonable price.

I also found that their tele saddle offers a combo of 2 brass + 1 other. Can anybody tell me about the point behind this design? Thanks.
https://www.bensoniteproducts.com/store ... ddles.html#/

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:05 pm

lyair wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm
Just checked this brand. Their offset bridge design looks simple and great, along with a reasonable price.

I also found that their tele saddle offers a combo of 2 brass + 1 other. Can anybody tell me about the point behind this design? Thanks.
This is a combo that's known about in the tele world, but not exactly widely used. Brass saddles take away some of the bite compared to stainless steel. With a stainless steel E/A, you get back some of that bite so that you don't lose definition in the lower notes.

lyair
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lyair » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:05 pm
lyair wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:41 pm

This is a combo that's known about in the tele world, but not exactly widely used. Brass saddles take away some of the bite compared to stainless steel. With a stainless steel E/A, you get back some of that bite so that you don't lose definition in the lower notes.
Thanks!

It seems I had some misunderstanding on brass saddles, because I've installed Gotoh In-Tune Brass Tele saddles before and found them very bright, bitey and harsh comparing to Fender stock saddles(although also brass). That's a strange experience. Maybe I'll try these Bensonite ones in future along with their offset bridge.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:53 pm

lyair wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 pm
It seems I had some misunderstanding on brass saddles, because I've installed Gotoh In-Tune Brass Tele saddles before and found them very bright, bitey and harsh comparing to Fender stock saddles(although also brass). That's a strange experience. Maybe I'll try these Bensonite ones in future along with their offset bridge.
It's an "all things being equal" situation regarding metals and their effect on tone. I suspect you went from Fender non-compensated saddles, where the string goes over a smooth curve over the saddles (which would dull the attack of the string). The Gotoh In-Tune - which I am a big fan of - are compensated and have a bit of a 'point' in the groove for intonation, and that will affect the tone. Sometimes a change in saddles means your new "sweet spot" on your tone knob is 7 rather than 10. I also like the titanium ones from Gotoh, but I've never done a comparison on the same guitar to really tell the precise tonal differences in the two.

lyair
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by lyair » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:50 am

alexpigment wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:53 pm
lyair wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 pm
It's an "all things being equal" situation regarding metals and their effect on tone. I suspect you went from Fender non-compensated saddles, where the string goes over a smooth curve over the saddles (which would dull the attack of the string). The Gotoh In-Tune - which I am a big fan of - are compensated and have a bit of a 'point' in the groove for intonation, and that will affect the tone. Sometimes a change in saddles means your new "sweet spot" on your tone knob is 7 rather than 10. I also like the titanium ones from Gotoh, but I've never done a comparison on the same guitar to really tell the precise tonal differences in the two.

My Fender saddles are actually also compensated, but with a "slope" design. Their tonal feature might be close to non-compensated ones.

From your explanation, I think Gotoh's narrow groove design might be the reason for tonal difference.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:46 am

Maybe so. It’s also possible/likely that it’s just a different alloy mixture. The more yellow the brass, I believe that means more zinc and less copper. No idea what that does to the tone.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 am

mattc wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:28 am
I just got mine. I was surprised how it made the tone less trebly - which is a good thing. I have a 40th Anniv JM
Ah I see - as much as I love the Mastery and it seemingly never needs adjustment, I always keep on eye on new(er) offset bridges to see how they compare but it sounds like this could be similar to the Halon bridge where it's taking away top-end rather than leaving it as is compared to the stock bridge, or adding a little on top.
2003 CIJ Fender Jaguar, sunburst (SJAG-3n neck, SHR-1b bridge, 500K lead circuit pots/speed knobs, Mastery bridge, Buzz Stop, Squier JM JM vibrato plate, modified whammy bar)

2022 MIM Fender Meteora, cosmic jade (top mounted input jack added)

atomicwash
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by atomicwash » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:07 am

RoaringTwenties wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:40 pm
Thoughts, reviews?
Thanks for the heads up! I had not heard of Bensonite.