CIJ Jazzmaster/Jaguar String Gauge

For help with setups and other technical issues.
jonny-devo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

CIJ Jazzmaster/Jaguar String Gauge

Post by jonny-devo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi!
I've got a question concerning my CIJ Jazzmaster:
The romour is around, that those guitars aren't able to carry gauge 12 strings. Is it true? if so, how do these strings affect my guitar and how can I prevent possible everlasting damages?

About my guitar:
Ordered straight from Japan. It is one of those who are made for domestic sales only.

hope you might find some answers.

Greez
Jones

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: CIJ Jazzmaster/Jaguar String Gauge

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:23 pm

I don't know where that rumour comes from, in fact you could say that you shouldn't put any less than 12 gauge strings on your offset. Jazzmasters tend to have string jumping problems with lighter gauges and most people prefer 10s or 11s at least.

IIRC one of our offsetters had 15s on his JM for a while without problems. 12s should be fine.

And well done on getting yourself a domestic CIJ, it might not be so easy in future as you know.

:)

[edited because I didn't read the original question properly and thought we were talking about Jags  :-[  ]
Last edited by mezcalhead on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:03 pm

If memory serves me correct, it's from the trem spring being less stiff and therefore not balancing properly with the added tension.  Not sure if that's true or not but I think I read that on FDP at one time.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:17 pm

Jay wrote: If memory serves me correct, it's from the trem spring being less stiff and therefore not balancing properly with the added tension.  Not sure if that's true or not but I think I read that on FDP at one time.
Yeah, I've heard the same thing. beyond the spring itself, they can definitely handle heavier strings. Does anywhere sell the AVRI spring separately? I've never actually checked. I think I remember hearing that you can buy them separately. I'm too lazy to seach at the moment though.

Justin
The whispers cut like hard rain, Like sugar in a hurricane

dinosaur
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaur » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:58 pm

Allparts has a spring assembly, I think for 7 or 8 bucks.  Not sure how it compares to the AVRI spring.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:06 am

AVRI or aftermarket trem blocks aren't that hard to come by, and they can handle Bass VI strings so they shouldn't have any trouble on a JM of any string gauge.

From what I remember from the last time we discussed this somewhere else, if you really want to go crazy I think you can get separate Bigsby springs which are thicker than JM springs .. or even motorcycle shock absorber springs. You could reduce their stiffness by cutting a bit off as needed.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:20 am

dinosaur wrote: Allparts has a spring assembly, I think for 7 or 8 bucks.  Not sure how it compares to the AVRI spring.
i have swapped the springs in my japanese JMs for allparts springs, and they´re a huge improvement. they are slightly softer than the spring in my vintage trem, which is one of the stiffer thick black ones, so my guess would be that they are roughly the same as AVRIs.

jonny-devo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jonny-devo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:49 am

Thanks for your advices.
I've got them on now. And I can't see any problem by now.  Except that I had to tighten them a bit stiffer on the machine heads.

greez
Jones