Missing screw

For help with setups and other technical issues.
radski
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Missing screw

Post by radski » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi everyone!

Happy to finally join this legendary forum after some lurking.

Recently I came into possession of an 1984 Fender Jazzmaster that was made in Japan. Its pretty dinged up, dirty plus it came without the original case or tremolo arm so I got a pretty good price on it however after taking it home I noticed that there something else missing. One of the three screws/nuts is missing from the tremolo's inner fulcrum plate.

Does anyone knows whether this can affect playability? If so where can I find a replacement without buying a whole tremolo unit?

Thanks in advance

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Missing screw

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:29 pm

Have you contacted Fender? They may send you one.

A few years back I had this problem with a Schecter and they sent me a pack of free pieces!
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Missing screw

Post by timtam » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 pm

The 3 screws there all hold the same knife edge plate. As long as the other two screws (shown inverted for string clearance below) are tight you should OK. But it would be worth trying to source a replacement, which should be metric unless someone swapped out the trem for MIA. Fender sells a packet of the long trem mounting screws but IIRC I haven't seen the plate screws. So you might have to go to a screw supplier, having verified the threads of your other screws against a metric nut. If you measure the screw diameter and it's say 4mm or 5mm then chances are it's a standard M4 or M5.
https://mmguitarbar.wordpress.com/2013/ ... ll-follow/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.