LSR Nut Compensation for Bridge Holes

For help with setups and other technical issues.
zachmercer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

LSR Nut Compensation for Bridge Holes

Post by zachmercer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi Offsetters,

Hope you can help.

I have an existing neck with a Fender LSR installed, and a new body that needs thimble holes drilled. I'm struggling to find information as to whether on a 25.5 scale length if I need to compensate for the LSR (I don't think the Fender LSR is compensated). In layman's terms should I (a)set the bridge holes 25.5 from the edge of the LSR like it was a bone, or (b) should I measure back from the first fret 1.431in (per scale standards) and measure from the peak (ball bearing position) of the LSR backward to determine the accurate hole position?

My concern is if I set the scale length from the edge of the LSR that I'm fundamentally shifting the position of the bridge holes back about 2-2.5mm due to the LSR width - which screws up pickguard position, etc. to maintain scale length, not to mention that a replacement neck down the track with a bone nut would be off significantly and if the thimble holes are out that the bridge itself may not have the play to deal with 2.5 (or more) adjustment for intonation.

My gut feel is that scale length would need to be from the peak of the LSR (pretend the original nut was in there) - not the bridge edge of the LSR (Option B) above. I also can't find if there's a standard precise distance from another part of the body (like the neck pocket) to align the bridge holes and then let the bridge compensate.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: LSR Nut Compensation for Bridge Holes

Post by timtam » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm

Assuming the LSR was installed in the correct location, the string contact points on the nut should be where the front edge of a conventional nut would be (ie the front of the nut slot has been widened). You can verify that by measuring from the contact points to the middle of the 12th fret. On as 25.5" scale, that should be 12.75". In short, your gut is correct.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

zachmercer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: LSR Nut Compensation for Bridge Holes

Post by zachmercer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:23 pm

timtam wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:01 pm
Assuming the LSR was installed in the correct location, the string contact points on the nut should be where the front edge of a conventional nut would be (ie the front of the nut slot has been widened). You can verify that by measuring from the contact points to the middle of the 12th fret. On as 25.5" scale, that should be 12.75". In short, your gut is correct.
Thanks for the clarification mate. :)