New guitar upgrade

For help with setups and other technical issues.
metsam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New guitar upgrade

Post by metsam » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:42 am

So, I am thinking to buy a Squier JAZZMASTER Vintage Modified 2016.

Also thinking to upgrade it with a mastery or descedant vibrato and a mastery bridge.

What would you upgrade in this guitar?

Thank you in advance for you help and time!!

:)

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New guitar upgrade

Post by jorri » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:50 am

Probably pickups and nut are primary concern.
Plus maybe electronics if they break a lot, where I'd probably use the opportunity to swap the rhythm circuit for series switch.

I've not found the Squier bridges/trem any worse than MIA... But I might upgrade from MIA! :) I'm OK with just Loctite on the stock squier bass VI but it does have more tension. The pickups are a bit nasty in the 3-4k 'cheap resonance and the nut may as well be parmasan.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:55 pm

Upgrade only what you need to. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.

£300 of upgrades doesn’t make you play better 👌🏻
Last edited by ChrisDesign on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:21 pm

ChrisDesign wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:55 pm
Upgrade only what you need to. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.
Agreed. Buy it first. Play it. See if anything fails to meet your expectations. Change it if it does.

I had a guitar teacher in the 90's who worked professionally as a jazz fusion guitarist. He played a dead-stock Squier stratocaster (which he had bought used) through an old mesa/boogie for years, which would probably give people at TGP some sort of stroke. He recorded his band's entire first album with it.

Worry about getting it into your hands before you worry about replacing parts.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:24 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:21 pm

I had a guitar teacher in the 90's who worked professionally as a jazz fusion guitarist. He played a dead-stock Squier stratocaster (which he had bought used) through an old mesa/boogie for years, which would probably give people at TGP some sort of stroke. He recorded his band's entire first album with it.

I wonder if he had an original Japanese squire? The original Squire’s were stunning, built to Fender’s original designs at a time when Fender were poor quality. They were so good Fender changed their designs and downgraded Squier to preserve their brand value. They were awesome Instruments in their own right.

I agree though, skill is not the gear you hold.

I would, however, learn how to set up the guitar. Setting up the guitar teaches you what needs upgrading. The sketch guides are great for teaching you the magic of setups: https://hazeguitars.com/sketchysetups/

Common problems you’ll find:
- The nut slots are too high, poorly cut, or too low (requiring a new nut)
- Pots are scratchy (requiring contract cleaner spray)
- the bridge buzzes, or constantly drops in height (requiring a shim in the neck or a new Staytrem or Mastery bridge)
- Frets buzz when relief and action are set right (requiring a fret level)
- the trem arm falls out or won’t stay in place (requiring a new Staytrem collet, a collet adjustment, or a new tremolo, possibly American vintage reissue.

These issues affect the playability. New pickups (etc) affect the tone. Get the playability perfect below chasing great tone through upgrades. By the time your guitar is very playable you may be content with the tone.

If you’re not content with the tone. Ask yourself what’s lacking? More bass? More treble? More output? Less output (you’re rolling the volume pot down to achieve your dream tone)? Then search for upgrades that make that tone happen.

Finally: what I would change as standard?
- shim the neck with a 0.25 degree full neck pocket shim. Jazzmasters were originally designed to be shimmed. The style of bridge needs a good break angle that is achieved with a small shim. £6 from Stew Mac: https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/elect ... uitar.html
- Add a treble bleed network. Fender add these to their high end guitars, and charge you £40 for the kit. Don’t be fooled. These are just a capacitor and a resistor. Grab one on eBay for £2.30: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111957505037

That guitar has Duncan Designed pickups in. These are very similar to the Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster set, but made in Korea instead of America. I doubt you will tell the difference in tone or response. Pickups are very simple electronics. Before buying new pickups, try tweeting the tone slightly with an EQ pedal as the first part of your signal chain. If your need to set the pedal to a given frequency profile, then that guides what pickups you want to install. Personally, I would just leave them stock.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

metsam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by metsam » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:49 pm

ChrisDesign wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:24 pm
mbene085 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:21 pm

I wonder if he had an original Japanese squire? The original Squire’s were stunning, built to Fender’s original designs at a time when Fender were poor quality. They were so good Fender changed their designs and downgraded Squier to preserve their brand value. They were awesome Instruments in their own right.

I agree though, skill is not the gear you hold.

I would, however, learn how to set up the guitar. Setting up the guitar teaches you what needs upgrading. The sketch guides are great for teaching you the magic of setups: https://hazeguitars.com/sketchysetups/

Common problems you’ll find:
- The nut slots are too high, poorly cut, or too low (requiring a new nut)
- Pots are scratchy (requiring contract cleaner spray)
- the bridge buzzes, or constantly drops in height (requiring a shim in the neck or a new Staytrem or Mastery bridge)
- Frets buzz when relief and action are set right (requiring a fret level)
- the trem arm falls out or won’t stay in place (requiring a new Staytrem collet, a collet adjustment, or a new tremolo, possibly American vintage reissue.

These issues affect the playability. New pickups (etc) affect the tone. Get the playability perfect below chasing great tone through upgrades. By the time your guitar is very playable you may be content with the tone.

If you’re not content with the tone. Ask yourself what’s lacking? More bass? More treble? More output? Less output (you’re rolling the volume pot down to achieve your dream tone)? Then search for upgrades that make that tone happen.

Finally: what I would change as standard?
- shim the neck with a 0.25 degree full neck pocket shim. Jazzmasters were originally designed to be shimmed. The style of bridge needs a good break angle that is achieved with a small shim. £6 from Stew Mac: https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/elect ... uitar.html
- Add a treble bleed network. Fender add these to their high end guitars, and charge you £40 for the kit. Don’t be fooled. These are just a capacitor and a resistor. Grab one on eBay for £2.30: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111957505037

That guitar has Duncan Designed pickups in. These are very similar to the Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster set, but made in Korea instead of America. I doubt you will tell the difference in tone or response. Pickups are very simple electronics. Before buying new pickups, try tweeting the tone slightly with an EQ pedal as the first part of your signal chain. If your need to set the pedal to a given frequency profile, then that guides what pickups you want to install. Personally, I would just leave them stock.
Thank you for your answers! I totally agree with everybody above! I am not planning to upgrade anything as soon as I get the guitar.

I only am asking for information, so I can learn some thing beforehand, since I am not very experienced. And information takes time to get it!
For example, nobody ever talked to me before about shims! This was totally new to me!

Thanks again, I am waiting for the guitar to arrive! :)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:34 am

I mean, haven't we all bought a guitar with the idea of making modifications to it before it arrives? Really?

I see post after post from members here doing exactly that- and God knows I have- but the second a newer member comes on here with the same idea there's always some lecture about living with it for a while.

It's a little weird. It's not going to be a surprise to think that there are better hardware and electronics out there than what is found on a Squier, you know? By all means plan your future, no matter what the pedantry on here tells you to do.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:34 am

I mean, haven't we all bought a guitar with the idea of making modifications to it before it arrives? Really?

I see post after post from members here doing exactly that- and God knows I have- but the second a newer member comes on here with the same idea there's always some lecture about living with it for a while.

It's a little weird. It's not going to be a surprise to think that there are better hardware and electronics out there than what is found on a Squier, you know? By all means plan your future, no matter what the pedantry on here tells you to do.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

metsam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by metsam » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:34 am

Thanks for "defending" me, but it's ok! Everybody has an opinion and I am fine with that! Also, I believe it is a good piece of advice to live with the guitar for a little while, and then see what more is needed!
The fact that "practice what you preach" may or may not apply here, is of no interest to me!
Thanks again! :)

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:01 am

I got your back, buddy. It's a madhouse in here.

metsam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by metsam » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:49 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:01 am
I got your back, buddy. It's a madhouse in here.
:blush:

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am

I've done that a few times--buying new with immediate plans to mod. Do what you want, nobody paying your bills around here 8)

Leo knows people buy 2k AVs and Thinskins and still get a new bridge and trem--that's nuts to me but still done it too lol :whistle:

I have a 2012 VM JM in Olympic white that is basically bones--stock neck, stock tuners and nut, stock body and thimbles. Everything else has been changed several times over. It's been the place of Antiquity Is, IIs, PV65s, and now is the bed for Novak JM goldfoils. I also had a Spitfire on it, a gold tone guard ano, a Fender mint guard, and now a Decoboom Streamline guard with cellulose tort. I've also had Mastery and Strytrems on it, but keep it DIY Tele saddles now. The trem was swapped to an AV years ago. I learned a lot of things with it, and will never sell it, it's not worth much, plays well, and it would be parted out anyways if I did sell it.

That said, it took some time to get to where it is, I didn't do everything at once. You'll be happy with the Mastery, most likely. The vibrato? Nah, not worth more than spending money for a new AV replacement.

I was set on Novak JM Goldfoils once upon a time and guess what? That stock overwound bridge is kind of similar sounding to my current high end boutique pickup. Try to forget the brands, forget the internet word of mouth and just starting playing, and adjust the pickup heights by ear. Then, if you really know what you want more of, and can describe that well, you could start looking around. I've never had to ask anyone what pickups I'd like, I just did my homework and went for it--filtering web information carefully. At the point of a potential pickup swap, I'd redo the entire harness. The switch will go out on you first, pots not so much. YMMV.

Good luck and have fun!
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...

metsam
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by metsam » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:30 am

Debaser wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:12 am
I've done that a few times--buying new with immediate plans to mod. Do what you want, nobody paying your bills around here 8)

Leo knows people buy 2k AVs and Thinskins and still get a new bridge and trem--that's nuts to me but still done it too lol :whistle:

I have a 2012 VM JM in Olympic white that is basically bones--stock neck, stock tuners and nut, stock body and thimbles. Everything else has been changed several times over. It's been the place of Antiquity Is, IIs, PV65s, and now is the bed for Novak JM goldfoils. I also had a Spitfire on it, a gold tone guard ano, a Fender mint guard, and now a Decoboom Streamline guard with cellulose tort. I've also had Mastery and Strytrems on it, but keep it DIY Tele saddles now. The trem was swapped to an AV years ago. I learned a lot of things with it, and will never sell it, it's not worth much, plays well, and it would be parted out anyways if I did sell it.

That said, it took some time to get to where it is, I didn't do everything at once. You'll be happy with the Mastery, most likely. The vibrato? Nah, not worth more than spending money for a new AV replacement.

I was set on Novak JM Goldfoils once upon a time and guess what? That stock overwound bridge is kind of similar sounding to my current high end boutique pickup. Try to forget the brands, forget the internet word of mouth and just starting playing, and adjust the pickup heights by ear. Then, if you really know what you want more of, and can describe that well, you could start looking around. I've never had to ask anyone what pickups I'd like, I just did my homework and went for it--filtering web information carefully. At the point of a potential pickup swap, I'd redo the entire harness. The switch will go out on you first, pots not so much. YMMV.

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you for your answer! Sounds like a wonderful journey!!! :-*