Will a Mastery Vibrato fit on a Squier CV JM

For help with setups and other technical issues.
rustyshackleford
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Will a Mastery Vibrato fit on a Squier CV JM

Post by rustyshackleford » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:38 am

So I’m wanting to put a Mastery Vibrato on my Squier Classic Vibe Jazzmaster and I’m wondering if it’s a simple drop-in replacement. I don’t really have the ability/tools to enlarge the cavity if it’s not.

If any of you kind offsetters have any experience with Squiers and Mastery trems it would be most appreciated. Thanks.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Will a Mastery Vibrato fit on a Squier CV JM

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:10 am

Short answer - yes! As long you get their offset vibrato! OMV :) (they have one with the baseplate reversed too)
It has the same footprint as the Fender unit.
I have mine on a japanese Fender and have the original trem now on my Squier Jaguar...

Do you plan on changing the Bridge for a Mastery too?

rustyshackleford
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rustyshackleford » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:27 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:10 am
Short answer - yes! As long you get their offset vibrato! OMV :) (they have one with the baseplate reversed too)
It has the same footprint as the Fender unit.
I have mine on a japanese Fender and have the original trem now on my Squier Jaguar...

Do you plan on changing the Bridge for a Mastery too?
Thank you so much! ;D I think I’ll stick with the stock Mustang bridge thingy it came with for now.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:09 pm

rustyshackleford wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:27 am
Thank you so much! ;D I think I’ll stick with the stock Mustang bridge thingy it came with for now.
Are these bridges alright? I wondered a lot about them - but still haven't played/seen one in the wild to try.

Another - even cheaper solution - would be the AVRI Vibrato+Arm. It costs about half of the Mastery and is of I'd say equal quality!
I have both and both feel absolutely solid and work great! The standard Squier/aftermarket unit isn't bad either but not anywhere close - neither is the Korean (used on Mexican guitars) or Japanese unit.
The AVRI has the locking button that the Mastery doesn't - but many (including me) don't use it. But surely has its clear advantages in keeping the tuning when breaking a string!
The American Pro version is basically the same - but with a screw in arm.
On the Mastery you aren't supposed to put the arm out - ever! So bear that in mind too!
The newly launched Descendant Vibrato should be awesome and en par with the other two regarded units too! Haven't tried it myself yet - but will soon, as a rehearsal-room colleague just received it.

Here is some further insight:
Mastery vs AVRI
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=108009
AVRI vs Mexican
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=116382

rustyshackleford
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rustyshackleford » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Thank you again :) The stock Mustang style bridge is pretty good. There was a little bit of buzzing on the open A string but that went away.

The problem I’m having with the stock trem is with the arm pushed all the way in it’s really hard to move side to side and makes a grinding noise. Not up and down when using the trem, just moving the arm out of the way when playing. My VM Jags not like this, it’s arm stays put but moves without much resistance. Also, my low E string’s touching the screw a bit.

So I thought the Mastery would be the best/least problematic. Of course, spending half the price of the guitar on a trem :unsure:

jc808
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jc808 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:48 am

The AVRIs are hard to come by lately. I'm on the hunt for one myself.