Unusual static coming from Jazzmaster

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ThatOneFish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Unusual static coming from Jazzmaster

Post by ThatOneFish » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Hey all, new user here. Recently just got a vintera Jazzmaster as my first offset. Right off the bat it felt great, but it’s sorta unplayable. Whenever I bend, touch the bridge, trem, or other parts with a screwdriver (or my hands) I get this static pop noise. It gets really bad with trem use and bends. know that the soap bar pickups are susceptible to lots of 60 cycle hum, and there is that too, but it is different. I have attached a video with examples of this. This doesn’t occur on my Strat at all, and I’m sorta bummed. I’ve read some things about shielding with copper, but I’m not experienced with electronics/sodering at all. Any recommendations, or will I probably have to go back to Fender?
Thanks you all.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QY03Xz ... p=drivesdk

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Unusual static coming from Jazzmaster

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:04 pm

Guessing a ground wire has come loose. Probably can be fixed in 5 minutes if you know what to look for. I'd just take it to a shop if you aren't handy yourself. Shouldn't be difficult.

ThatOneFish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThatOneFish » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:21 pm

adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:04 pm
Guessing a ground wire has come loose. Probably can be fixed in 5 minutes if you know what to look for. I'd just take it to a shop if you aren't handy yourself. Shouldn't be difficult.
Ah I see, yeah... I have no tools and it's a brand new guitar so I wouldn't want to void the warranty. Guess I have to take it to my nearest authroized dealer. Which sadly is GC, I had a bad experience with them as the "tech" chipped some of the finish on my strat when i took it in for a faulty tuning machine.... it is what it is, thanks though!

MuscleDad420
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MuscleDad420 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 pm

Static "popping" could be due to ambient conditions (dry & windy outside), carpeting wherever you typically play guitar, and or your body having naturally high capacitance causing static electricity to form and discharge when your body completes the instrument's ground circuit.

But I have encountered some Fender offsets that had loose or poorly dressed ground wires in the bridge ferrules e.g. whenever you'd use the trem the bridge would move and loose ground reference, which would in turn cause crackling and popping. Have yet to work on a Vintera so I'm unsure whether the bridge ground is wedged against the bridge ferrules or done via the trem, but if it's the former it's easier to drill a hole from inside the trem route to the control cavity and run a ground wire through there. That's how the originals were done.

Do you have access to a multimeter with a continuity function? I would check to verify you have ground continuity through the bridge and strings leading back to the output jack.

ThatOneFish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThatOneFish » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:33 pm

MuscleDad420 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 pm
Static "popping" could be due to ambient conditions (dry & windy outside), carpeting wherever you typically play guitar, and or your body having naturally high capacitance causing static electricity to form and discharge when your body completes the instrument's ground circuit.

But I have encountered some Fender offsets that had loose or poorly dressed ground wires in the bridge ferrules e.g. whenever you'd use the trem the bridge would move and loose ground reference, which would in turn cause crackling and popping. Have yet to work on a Vintera so I'm unsure whether the bridge ground is wedged against the bridge ferrules or done via the trem, but if it's the former it's easier to drill a hole from inside the trem route to the control cavity and run a ground wire through there. That's how the originals were done.

Do you have access to a multimeter with a continuity function? I would check to verify you have ground continuity through the bridge and strings leading back to the output jack.
Hmmm, I don't think its necessarily my carpet, as my Strat is completely fine, switching from JM to Strat in a session. Same with my friends' guitars when they come over, just some 60 cycle hum. I do have a drill on me... but I guess actually removing the pickguard and drilling a hole from the trem cavity to the controls would be a last resort if Fender/GC doesn't cover it. I don't have a multimeter on me unfortunately

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:10 pm

If it's a brand new guitar, I'd definitely be looking to return it or have it replaced. There's too much acceptance of QC issues with new guitars I think sometimes man, especially with offsets. I had two Vintera Mods last year, had to return both for QC issues and it was such a hassle trying to sort it initially. One of them, the issue was pretty similar to what you're experiencing too. Either way, hope you get it sorted man.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:24 pm

MuscleDad420 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 pm

Actually, to be slightly pedantic, Jazzmaster bridges were originally grounded with a bit of b string wedged under the treble side thimble that then made contact with the aluminum shield on the back of the pickguard. They switched to the tremolo rout ground in the mid 60s, I think around '63 or '64.

Although interestingly enough my '65 reissue which is regarded as being very vintage accurate has the thimble ground.

ThatOneFish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThatOneFish » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:10 pm
If it's a brand new guitar, I'd definitely be looking to return it or have it replaced. There's too much acceptance of QC issues with new guitars I think sometimes man, especially with offsets. I had two Vintera Mods last year, had to return both for QC issues and it was such a hassle trying to sort it initially. One of them, the issue was pretty similar to what you're experiencing too. Either way, hope you get it sorted man.
It is brand new... I don't want to let this one go, honestly for some reason acoustics wise its loud... I don't know why, its actually light too. Neck doesn't need a shim either, and the Pau Ferro is dark enough to pass as rosewood if you're not paying too much attention. Plus when the pickups sound quite nice (especially rhythm circuit), when it doesn't go all static. Fender said to bring it in to an authorized service center... I shall see how that goes.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:41 am

ThatOneFish wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 pm
Mondaysoutar wrote:
It is brand new... I don't want to let this one go, honestly for some reason acoustics wise its loud... I don't know why, its actually light too. Neck doesn't need a shim either, and the Pau Ferro is dark enough to pass as rosewood if you're not paying too much attention. Plus when the pickups sound quite nice (especially rhythm circuit), when it doesn't go all static. Fender said to bring it in to an authorized service center... I shall see how that goes.
Ah, I know what you mean man. It’ll definitely be fixable as others are saying, so it’ll work out that you can keep that one. I actually hadn’t watched the wee video you posted until last night, long shot, but some contact cleaner could sort it, or calm it down enough for you to play until it’s fixed. It’s amazing what that stuff can do sometimes.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:27 am

If touching the guitar sounds the same as grabbing the tip of the output cable to the amp then you have a short in the guitar.

find some wire and wind it around the bridge post/etc outside the guitar and the other end touch it on the jack rim at the pickguard or wind it on the shield of the output cable at the guitar jack. If that fixes it you have a loose or missing ground somewhere.

If it's static like shuffling your feet across carpet and zapping a buddy for fun then you need to wipe a drier sheet on the pickguard to reduce static charge build up. That works with the light touching a pickguard gets when strumming the guitar just like shuffling feet on a carpet. Dry air from running AC hard or winter time cause this. Most often a problem of a new guitar or freshly cleaned guitar.

filthypit
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by filthypit » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 pm

Mondaysoutar wrote:
what he said
hey maybe we can get together for coffee sometime?
...after they lift the restraining order, I mean

ThatOneFish
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ThatOneFish » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:45 am

filthypit wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 pm
Mondaysoutar wrote:
what he said
Brought it in to sigh GC, they shielded it with copper tape... suprisingly enough that solved MOST of that static. it comes around for a short short burst when really bending the B and high E strings, and is a super minuscule amount with trem use now. I guess I’m satisfied? Maybe down the road I’ll open it up and put some dexoit on the pots. Maybe see if it’s missing a grounding to the bridge (you know the thin wire) or to the output jack or something... it’s not that huge of a bother right now per se since I’m not gonna bend every second.

MuscleDad420
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MuscleDad420 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:54 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:24 pm
Actually, to be slightly pedantic, Jazzmaster bridges were originally grounded with a bit of b string wedged under the treble side thimble that then made contact with the aluminum shield on the back of the pickguard. They switched to the tremolo rout ground in the mid 60s, I think around '63 or '64.

Although interestingly enough my '65 reissue which is regarded as being very vintage accurate has the thimble ground.
Ah yes, I forgot about that. Was it really a B string? I always assumed it was a piece of a component leg clipped from the end of the one of the tone caps.

jc808
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jc808 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:46 am

Assuming that's your house, does it do that when you play elsewhere?