Can't Flip Screws On Fender Classic Series Jaguar Tailpiece

For help with setups and other technical issues.
bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can't Flip Screws On Fender Classic Series Jaguar Tailpiece

Post by bodhi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:18 pm

Horsefeather wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:29 pm
bodhi wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 pm
Are there different tapers on the head for applicable 8-32 flathead screws? I ordered some, but eyeballing it it seemed that for them to be drilled out so the screws would be flush would be on the edge of not leaving any grooves left for the screw to hold on to...
Don't worry about the threads in the fulcrum piece--you aren't going to be countersinking that part. It's hardened steel. Only the plate will get countersunk, which is why the screws do sit a little proud.
Thing is, I'd ideally actually want the screw heads to sit flush, so wondering out loud about how to get there. I'd be really bummed out about messing up the trem enough to need to get a new one...
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm

bodhi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:18 pm
Horsefeather wrote:
bodhi wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:31 pm
Are there different tapers on the head for applicable 8-32 flathead screws? I ordered some, but eyeballing it it seemed that for them to be drilled out so the screws would be flush would be on the edge of not leaving any grooves left for the screw to hold on to...
Don't worry about the threads in the fulcrum piece--you aren't going to be countersinking that part. It's hardened steel. Only the plate will get countersunk, which is why the screws do sit a little proud.
Thing is, I'd ideally actually want the screw heads to sit flush, so wondering out loud about how to get there. I'd be really bummed out about messing up the trem enough to need to get a new one...
You'd almost need a second plate underneath to get to the required depth, there's just not enough meat there to countersink to that depth without going the whole way through.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Yeah, don't worry about it too much. We'd all like them flush but it's just not feasible. Fender doesn't want us to have them flush. Get it functional and then get to writin' songs on it!

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bodhi » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:30 am

Horsefeather wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm
Yeah, don't worry about it too much. We'd all like them flush but it's just not feasible. Fender doesn't want us to have them flush. Get it functional and then get to writin' songs on it!
andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:33 pm
bodhi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:18 pm
Horsefeather wrote:

You'd almost need a second plate underneath to get to the required depth, there's just not enough meat there to countersink to that depth without going the whole way through.
Hmm, a second plate wouldn't be out of the question, assuming the threading bit isn't too expensive... Unlikely to have other uses for it.

Horsefeather wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:10 pm

I have some ulterior motives / ideas, but let's see where we end up :)
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

Square Daddio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Square Daddio » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:58 am

What if one were to use a smaller flat head bolt that would be recessed in the hole and use a nut and washers to draw it tight from below? Haven't tried it, but I have had a e string unwind on an AO JM.