Jazzmaster pickup lead broke off

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Tbyrne13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster pickup lead broke off

Post by Tbyrne13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:54 am

Hello,

I was in the process of swapping out pick guards on my jazzmaster and the 'hot' wire broke off from the pickup base plate. Is it ok to re-solder it to the spot where it snapped off? Hoping it doesn't effect the sound quality.

On a side note, if the lead wires are too short....is it appropriate to attach more wire to the end of pickup lead, re-solder + shrink wrap tubing, and anchor to pot?

Thank you!

Tim

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster pickup lead broke off

Post by adamrobertt » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:57 am

Tbyrne13 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:54 am
Hello,

I was in the process of swapping out pick guards on my jazzmaster and the 'hot' wire broke off from the pickup base plate. Is it ok to re-solder it to the spot where it snapped off? Hoping it doesn't effect the sound quality.

On a side note, if the lead wires are too short....is it appropriate to attach more wire to the end of pickup lead, re-solder + shrink wrap tubing, and anchor to pot?

Thank you!

Tim
1) Yes, you can reconnect it, but be VERY careful and don't use too much heat. Pickup coil wires are incredibly thin and fragile (think less than a human hair) and it is possible to break them which can ruin the pickup.

2) Yes. I've done it and it works fine.

Tbyrne13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Tbyrne13 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:18 am

adamrobertt wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:57 am
Tbyrne13 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:54 am
Hello,

Thank you!

Tim
1) Yes, you can reconnect it, but be VERY careful and don't use too much heat. Pickup coil wires are incredibly thin and fragile (think less than a human hair) and it is possible to break them which can ruin the pickup.

2) Yes. I've done it and it works fine.
Thank you! I will try it out.

Debaser
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Debaser » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:30 pm

Agreed with above. It’s not that difficult to solder it back, the tricky part is getting the old broken wire tip out of the eyelet. Usually, pushing it out after you melt the old solder with a new wire lead is the way to go. Also, save yourself the hassle of making an extended wire lead (2 solder joints). Just solder in a new wire lead, at the length you want.
50,000 watts out of Mexico, this is the BorderRadio...