Rhythm circuit volume knob causes tone to change as I roll it down

For help with setups and other technical issues.
alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Rhythm circuit volume knob causes tone to change as I roll it down

Post by alexpigment » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:15 am

[NOTE: I realize the title is very "captain obvious", but there is more nuance to the report]

In my endless search to find the most useful mod for the rhythm circuit, yesterday I rewired it such that the rhythm switch goes to *just the volume knob*, and works on all 3 pickups. This means that I get a brighter/slightly louder version of my tone compared to my main circuit, which uses 250k pots. It's actually quite useful, since it means that I can give a little extra boost for leads, or perhaps just more jangle/spank when I need it.

However, there's a usability problem. The rhythm circuit tone gets darker as I turn down the volume, which means that I really only get more brightness when the volume is at 10. Normally I get around this on my guitars by changing the wire connecting the volume and tone pots (i.e. '50s wiring' or 'Fezz Parka' mod), however, in this case I only have the 1meg volume pot so that mod is not applicable here. Is tone change when lowering the volume inherent on a volume-only circuit? If so, is a treble bleed the only way to get around this?

Currently my thinking is that I don't really want to mess around trying to find the correct treble bleed resistors/caps, as I would have to order several resistors, and it's very trial-and-error from what I understand. If the volume is only brightest at 10, I might as well just take the volume out of the rhythm circuit and make it a blower switch (i.e. straight to the output jack), which would have the benefit of being slightly brighter and I could take out some weight in the guitar.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. For context, the rhythm circuit is the stock volume pot from a Squier JMJM; I'm not sure if the quality or construction of that pot could have an effect.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: Rhythm circuit volume knob causes tone to change as I roll it down

Post by Telliot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:38 am

In my experience, this is normal and the only way I know to ‘fix’ it would be a treble bleed mod.

The mod you made is a series/parallel mod that gives you a more humbucker type of sound; thicker and slightly louder. IIRC, that only works when you’re in neck/both pickups position in the lead circuit, right? I had that wiring on one of my old JMs but I don’t remember exactly how I engaged it (I seem to recall getting no sound if my lead circuit was switched to the bridge pickup?). I have a 4-way switch on my Tele that gives me that series/parallel option, which I love.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:29 am

Telliot wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:38 am
In my experience, this is normal and the only way I know to ‘fix’ it would be a treble bleed mod.

The mod you made is a series/parallel mod that gives you a more humbucker type of sound; thicker and slightly louder. IIRC, that only works when you’re in neck/both pickups position in the lead circuit, right? I had that wiring on one of my old JMs but I don’t remember exactly how I engaged it (I seem to recall getting no sound if my lead circuit was switched to the bridge pickup?). I have a 4-way switch on my Tele that gives me that series/parallel option, which I love.
No, I didn't do a series mod on this one. I've had that before on other guitars and for me it doesn't work as well in practice as it does on paper (usually because you need to compensate for the added resistance of the series mode in some way). All I did was wire the rhythm toggle so that it switches the *output* of the 3-way pickup selector between my standard 250k vol/tone pots and a 1meg vol pot in the 'rhythm circuit' area before going to the output. Effectively, it's just a bright circuit that works on any pickup position.

Again, the thing that's odd to me is that I can easily work around this when I have a vol/tone knob. In my mind, I assumed the tone change was directly related to the interaction of the volume and tone knobs. In this case, there is no tone knob, so obviously there's some other factor that I don't fully understand.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:21 am

Ah. Sorry, I misunderstood.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:20 am

Here's the full detail deep dive on treble bleeds.
https://guitarnuts2.proboards.com/threa ... ed-circuit

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:38 pm

+1 for a treble bleed circuit.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:42 pm

Also, a volume knob itself adds resistance and darkens the tone, much like a tone circuit. I’ve modded all of my offsets with 1meg, ‘no loaf’ pots for this reason and either use the tone knob to brighten or darken the tone, or employ the rhythm circuit, on the guitars that have them.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:33 pm

Lost In Autumn wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:42 pm
I’ve modded all of my offsets with 1meg, ‘no loaf’ pots
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:05 pm

Well, it sounds like I have a few options here. I’m ideally just wanting to make the tone brighter with the the rhythm switch. Currently it works but the downside is that I loose the brightness over the 250k pots below 50% volume. In other words, at low volumes the bright switch becomes the dark switch. It doesn’t make much sense to me but oh well.

Perhaps there’s another way of tackling this though. Is it possible to add in a resistor that just darkens the tone of the regular circuit without messing up the natural sweep of the vol/tone knobs? For example, could I use 1meg vol/tone and then have the switch effectively make them 250k? I feel like there are some gotchas here but maybe not.