G String “dull”

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JeffersonJamerson
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: G String “dull”

Post by JeffersonJamerson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Well, I got it back from the tech a few days ago and I cannot put it down. The TUSQ nut fixed it. The nut slot on the stock nut was simply too deep and it was leaving the nut at the wrong angle.

I appreciate all of the advice! I can't put this guitar down. So happy now! ;D

seenoevil II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by seenoevil II » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:20 pm

Good news about the new nut. That's the only real solution once a nut is cut too deep.

However for anyone else or yourself if this happens again later on, there are a couple of temporary work arounds.

1.Janky
Shim the nut. Remove the nut using proper nut removal techniques (score the lacquer, tap it lightly with a hammer through a wood block). Then cut a piece of paper to fit in the slot and add more if until the nut slots are high enough. You may then need to file the slots back down to a good height. This might also be complicated if the nut slot is radiused like on some fenders.

2. Jankier
you can put something in the offending string slot to fill it back up. You can use superglue by itself or make a paste with baking soda (or plastic dust if you have that for some reason).

3. Jankiest
In a real pinch, I'll lift the string out of the slot, put a piece of thing paper over the slot, reinstall the string so that it forces the paper down into the slot with all of the pressure of string tension, then just tear away the excess.

4. King Jank
In emergencies, play with a capo on the first fret and tune down a half step.

Another good tip to know is putting graphite in the string slots. It's easiest with a mechanical pencil, but getting some pencil lead down into the slots can often make up for some sloppy filing. It fills in the gaps and lubricates everything so there's less binding. Helps with tuning stability especially on 3 a side headstocks.

...slot
If it wasn't for disappointment, I wouldn't have any appointments.

Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snowmonkey » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:52 pm

seenoevil II wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:20 pm
Good news about the new nut. That's the only real solution once a nut is cut too deep.

However for anyone else or yourself if this happens again later on, there are a couple of temporary work arounds.

1.Janky
Shim the nut. Remove the nut using proper nut removal techniques (score the lacquer, tap it lightly with a hammer through a wood block). Then cut a piece of paper to fit in the slot and add more if until the nut slots are high enough. You may then need to file the slots back down to a good height. This might also be complicated if the nut slot is radiused like on some fenders.

2. Jankier
you can put something in the offending string slot to fill it back up. You can use superglue by itself or make a paste with baking soda (or plastic dust if you have that for some reason).

3. Jankiest
In a real pinch, I'll lift the string out of the slot, put a piece of thing paper over the slot, reinstall the string so that it forces the paper down into the slot with all of the pressure of string tension, then just tear away the excess.

4. King Jank
In emergencies, play with a capo on the first fret and tune down a half step.

Another good tip to know is putting graphite in the string slots. It's easiest with a mechanical pencil, but getting some pencil lead down into the slots can often make up for some sloppy filing. It fills in the gaps and lubricates everything so there's less binding. Helps with tuning stability especially on 3 a side headstocks.

...slot
I live miles from a guitar tech so I am going to try a janky approach! Thanks for the tips...