Intermittent rhythm circuit switch

For help with setups and other technical issues.
wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Intermittent rhythm circuit switch

Post by wproffitt » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Hello all!
I saw a white rhythm circuit switch on Reverb and bought it because why not? I installed it and it works BUT when I switch circuits, it silences the guitar UNTIL I push down on the switch. Then, sound comes through as normal. Is this my horrible soldering skills or a faulty switch or something contact cleaner is likely to fix. Any thoughts on this are welcome!

Thanks!

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Intermittent rhythm circuit switch

Post by marqueemoon » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:55 pm

I’d give contact cleaner a shot.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 pm

+1

Also, check there isn’t anything in the slot (like shielding foil) stopping the switch getting all the way to the end of its throw. Could be the new switch just needs to slide a bit further to make the connection.
All the cheeses....

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:37 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:59 pm
+1

Also, check there isn’t anything in the slot (like shielding foil) stopping the switch getting all the way to the end of its throw. Could be the new switch just needs to slide a bit further to make the connection.
marqueemoon wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:55 pm
I’d give contact cleaner a shot.
Thanks, folks! I’ll grab some contact cleaner while I’m out today and then fiddle with the switch a bit. It’s interesting that this happens in EITHER position. I’ll let you know how it works out.

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:06 am

So,
I cleaned the contacts in the switch and removed it from the pick guard to see if it could get to to work with some adjustments. Given that pressure is required in a downward motion on the switch to get it to engage in either position, is it likely that my soldering has anything to do with this or do we think the switch is defective. The vendor has already told me that he won’t take a return as we’re past the 30 day window, so any thoughts on how to fix this are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:23 pm

Sorry, I think I misunderstood before.... you have to push the switch in (towards your body if you’re wearing the guitar) to make the contact? Not push it downwards (towards your feet)....?

If that is the case, it sounds like a bad switch to me, especially if it still does it when taken out of the guitar and scratchplate (so you know then it isn’t shorting out on something in the cavity).

It’s possible you melted something inside the switch when soldering if you put too much heat on it, but I’d doubt it. More likely a duff switch.

I’ve never actually opened one of these switches up, so happy to be corrected on this, but I expect that there may be a little “leaf spring” thingy in there which keeps pressure between the static contacts, and the metal that must be attached to the plastic sliding bit (all technical terms here!). It could be that spring bit isn’t applying enough pressure and it might be possible to bend it a bit more to make it work.

IF you can’t find another fix, and you can’t send the switch back, you’ve nothing to lose by opening it up and seeing if you can fettle it. There are usually little bent over tabs on the bottom that would need carefully opening up with needle nose pliers or similar to release the metal casing. Go carefully and good luck!
All the cheeses....

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 am

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:23 pm
Sorry, I think I misunderstood before.... you have to push the switch in (towards your body if you’re wearing the guitar) to make the contact? Not push it downwards (towards your feet)....?

If that is the case, it sounds like a bad switch to me, especially if it still does it when taken out of the guitar and scratchplate (so you know then it isn’t shorting out on something in the cavity).

It’s possible you melted something inside the switch when soldering if you put too much heat on it, but I’d doubt it. More likely a duff switch.
Yeah, that’s the deal. I have to push it toward my body when wearing the guitar. I would need some pretty tiny pliers to open and close this thing up were I to try to tinker with it. I may just order another, bit not from the same vendor! ;D