Correct string guage for MIM Player Jazzmaster

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Correct string guage for MIM Player Jazzmaster

Post by Snowmonkey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:51 pm

Here's another question for you clever folks. Pretty much everywhere on the internet it says that Jazzmasters benefit from higher guage strings, and 11s are usually recommended.

However, if you look at the Fender site, all the new Jazzmasters are sent out into the wild with 9s.

What gives? Does the advice of higher guage strings not apply to new models?

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Correct string guage for MIM Player Jazzmaster

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:34 am

It's what works for you and your guitar. I use 10s on all my 25.5" scale Fenders, lots of people do. Equally, lots of people on here will go heavier - my fingers aren't up to that on my JM! On the other hand, I tried 10s on my Jaguar (shorter scale) and it was buzzy and awful - that has 11s back on now.

It's true that the 1950s design for the bridge and trem expected heavier gauge strings, and lighter gauges can make the set up tricky, as they might not put enough tension on the system, but if you like 9s and all sounds good to you, you're fine. You can always try the next gauge up next string change - you might like them better.

I suspect that Fender fits 9s as they don't want someone picking up a guitar in the shop and immediately putting it back on the rack because it feels harder to play than their last one.
All the cheeses....

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:10 pm

The MIM Player Jazzmaster has the tremolo unit moved closer to the bridge, and also I'm fairly sure the neck pocket is angled (unless they've deviated from similar models). Both of these changes increase the break angle over the bridge. As a result, the "need" for heavier gauge strings is not there like it might be on a more vintage-accurate JM. I should note that any guitar can work with smaller or heavier strings if you understand the interaction of the components and can set them up appropriately.

I would say you could probably get away with whatever string gauge you'd like on this guitar. FWIW, I use 10s on my JMs (all of them have the closer trem), and 11s on all other guitars I own. The 11s feel too stiff on my JMs for whatever reason.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:32 pm

9s seem to be a default gauge to ship guitars with across a lot of market. I imagine it's because it's a happy medium in terms of playability for most people picking a guitar off the rack in a store. I tend to play 11s on all my guitars, but I know they're not for everyone. You'll have an easier time selling a guitar to more people if they can grab it and play something, as opposed to something that has a stiffer action and being told it needs to be that way for it to work.

Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snowmonkey » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:16 am

Thanks all, some useful information!

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:56 am

There's no reason not to be able to set up a guitar, any guitar, with the gauge string that one prefers. It's all doable. I haven't seen it repeated in a while, but that dogma about using heavier strings is still out there for some reason. The correct string gauge is whichever one you like.

9s work fine, IME, with both trem spacings. Some folks swear that the shorter space behind the bridge and sharper break angle kills the overtones, but again that hasn't been my experience. Naturally the shorter space between bridge and tailpiece means differently pitched overtones, but if anything they're a little stronger due to the higher string tension, at least in tandem with a TOM type bridge. It's a subtle difference, but I actually prefer the sound of the modern spaced tremolo, it's a little more focused sounding to my ear. As always YMMV and all that.
This is an excellent rectangle

MattK
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MattK » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:34 am

I will always rep for a wound G string too - just sounds sweeter (and suits a 3 saddle Tele bridge too). 11s on 25.5 scale, 12s on 24 scale (altho that's a bit much on a Musicmaster).

kgbAttack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kgbAttack » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:03 am

I use 10s on my Jazzmaster and Tele, and 11s on my Jaguar. Bending two whole-steps is easier on the Jaguar than on my JM, which kinda surprised me a bit.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:53 pm

100% personal preference.

I use hybrids. 10s for EBG, and 11s for DAE. Rotosound blue. This is the perfect compromise for me.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:21 pm

kgbAttack wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:03 am
I use 10s on my Jazzmaster and Tele, and 11s on my Jaguar. Bending two whole-steps is easier on the Jaguar than on my JM, which kinda surprised me a bit.
I've always maintained that scale length has way more to do with string tension - both perceived and actual - that actual string gauge across a range of guitars. What you've just said seems to support that. the jump form 10s to 11s isn't massive, but you've lost 1.5in of playable scale. That'll really slacken things off.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:30 am

There is no correct.

Id say a JM is more flexible due to break angle.
And a Jag also has the reduced tension of the scale length.

But what if you want those things. Ive known some alt tuning users downtune and keep the same set because the flop is part of the sound. Whilst some jazzers are just in competition for maximum girth.

Scale length is weird anyway. Ive used tension calculators to work out baritone strings but no quite right. Like the extra length also needs more tension like a bass does to avoid how there may be some 'flop'. But detuning a regular guitar seems the opposite and needing less tension wtf?
So whilst not actually having a smaller scale length guitar, maybe its the same, just trial and error.

Its not that by changing string diameter somehow you end up with a Strat or Tele.
As with strings that are particularly thick i feel theyd always feel like that and have a sound, whatever tuning, or scale length.

Well rule of thumb is maybe try 0-1 guage up on JM. 1-2 on jag. Seems like 'heavy bottom' strings are the way to go though, i dont really want cheesewire but playing on thick cables doesnt bother me. I currently use 11-56 (56 is a 13 set!) Feels good because the high strings on higher guages are generally the hard bit to play.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:34 am

I'm an 11s guy (for all my axes across a few tunings, Drop D on my Mustang at 24" and my Strandberg at 25-25.5", Drop C on my Kiesel at 25.5"-26.5", and Drop A on my Ormsby at 25.5-27.5"), but it's a weird set from Stringjoy - their Drop Tune Medium, that runs 11-14-18-32-44-58). They all feel a bit different, but I'm fine with the tension on the Strandberg (the highest-tension one), and I have more of an issue with thinner strings kinda cutting into my fingers.

On a Jazzmaster specifically, I've played them (but don't own one yet) with 9s, 10s, 11s, and 12s, and I still really like 11s. Thicker strings add some girth and punch to brighter pickups, and I think that in standard or standard-ish tunings (Drop D, DADGAG, stuff like that) 11s with a heavy bottom give the rocking bridge the best shot at working properly -- it's actually pretty good on my Mustang and stays in tune better than a Strat trem for me.

Square Daddio
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Square Daddio » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:01 am

I have found that Fender uses 10s on "vintage" models and ships everything else with 9s, possibly with the exception of some artists models where another gauge is specified. My AO JM came with 10s, which stay in tune for me once I switched to Ernie Ball from D'Addario.