Blemish on Brand New Mustang Bass

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Sir Simon Milligan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Blemish on Brand New Mustang Bass

Post by Sir Simon Milligan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:20 pm

I just received a brand new Mustang PJ Bass from a dealer I've shopped with for years and they've always done a solid job, so I'm somewhat befuddled how this got shipped to me like this. There are three small white blemishes on the paint on the bottom of the guitar so it wasn't visible in the photos I use sent.

Not knowing exactly what it was and not wanting to risk damaging the paint, I informed them of these blemishes. I was told that it was probably a byproduct of the packing material and that I could likely just scratch it off my finger nail or a wet towel. So, I tried both methods without any success. it doesn't feel encrusted or something that can just be scraped off. It almost feels like that it's one with the enamel/paint. Anyone have any other ideas how to remove this without harming the paint? This sucks, because other than this, it's the color I really wanted, feels good (even though it's my first bass) to play, and sounds good.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Re: Blemish on Brand New Mustang Bass

Post by Maggieo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:42 am

Windex? 409?
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

schoolie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by schoolie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:46 am

I would try naptha on a towel.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:56 am

That's a bummer, something brand new and that seems to be on the paint layer and not easily rubbed off.

I'm going to take the practical route, on two fronts (only because this is what I would do in the exact situation...including factoring in what you said about it being the color you wanted, and that it feels good and sounds good). That's all important stuff to consider.

1) Contact the seller, with good pics/video of the situation to make it clear to them that it's not some crusted-on gunk that will scrape or rub off (fingernail, paper towel, 409, etc.). It's somehow "in there", and isn't going anywhere. At that point, maybe ask for a little money back?

Having said that...

2) At 51, and after nearly four decades of playing (three-plus of them in front of people and in all kinds of situations and scenarios), it's been years since I've been too concerned about cosmetic/outward factors of anything I've owned. While I understand that it's a bite when it's a brand new purchase, over time there will likely be more scuffs and dings to come.
Last edited by pscates on Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir Simon Milligan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sir Simon Milligan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:42 am

Thanks, everyone, for the responses. It's a major retailer I've purchased from for years. I did look at local shops, but either they were out of stock or did not have the colors I wanted. I don't anticipate any hassles if I decide to send this back as they've always done right by me.

I will try a couple of the methods suggested to see if that will work and if not, I'll contact my rep and go from there.

I'm not anal retentative about stuff having to be just so in terms of appearance, but it's fairly noticeable, to me, at least. And on the off chance that I do eventually sell it, I will get penalized for it in terms of selling price. My 94/95 Jag arrived with lots of dings and was "well loved" but I knew to expect that ahead of time and it just wasn't an issue.

Thanks, everyone, and I'll post an update soon.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 am

Yeah, on a brand new instrument, it shouldn't be that bad. It would bother me a little, too, something straight from the factory. I guess it just depended on the location and degree, how I would pursue it. I'm sure the vendor will make it right.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:59 pm

pscates wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:46 am
Yeah, on a brand new instrument, it shouldn't be that bad. It would bother me a little, too, something straight from the factory. I guess it just depended on the location and degree, how I would pursue it. I'm sure the vendor will make it right.
Exactly. A dent i almost purposely put there from a gig is no issue. If its new its fishy and would wonder what is up, even if afterwards i dont give a damn and currently transport my Squier with no case, there is blue flaking through white and i kind of like it. But if it arrived new like that it would make me question if its a factory dud or problems in other areas, i dont think its anal really for a new thing.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:34 pm

I'd try some automotive cutting compound to see if they're able to buff out.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

fisonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fisonic » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:48 pm

Yes, or the inflated, but good, guitar specific marketed product is

Sir Simon Milligan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sir Simon Milligan » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:37 pm

I didn't have any luck removing the marks on my own and I do think that they were ingrained/embedded/whatever with the paint. The dealer sent out a replacement asap and had FedEx pick up the original at my place on the same day. Outstanding service and it's why I continue to use them.

Thanks again for your suggestions and advice.