Fralin Jazzmaster p/u covers too big for JM pickguard?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Seratone
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Fralin Jazzmaster p/u covers too big for JM pickguard?

Post by Seratone » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:36 am

I built an MJT JM with CP parts a few years ago and ended up selling it to pay my taxes - I found it again on Kijiji (classifieds) and bought it back. It's in pretty bad shape.... I ended up buying some Lindy Fralin Noiseless as the Pickup Wizard bridge p/u was toast. I noticed the Fralin pickup covers were a little too big for the pickguard..... Unfortunately I did a sort of shanky job on a $50 Real-Life Relics aged guard to make it fit - now I want to do it properly. I'm getting a gold anodized from afar - shaving a 1/16th of material off that is going to near impossible - is the conventional wisdom to shave down the pickup cover instead? Are there other pickup covers I can buy that have the same spacing, just a smaller footprint - it's 'off' by such a tiny amount.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fralin Jazzmaster p/u covers too big for JM pickguard?

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:11 pm

I just put a set into an aftermarket pickguard and didn’t have any Fitment issues

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:11 pm

I just put a set into an aftermarket pickguard and didn’t have any Fitment issues

Seratone
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Seratone » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:46 am

I have three or four Jazzmaster after market guards - I get them from Amazon - when I built the guitar I got an ‘aged’ MJT guard with the MJT body - this was originally made by WD. It’s the only one that fits the The Fralin pickup covers. When held up back to back the Amazon pickguards are about a1/16th “ smaller ( it’s the length)