MG69 Mustang Nut - How to find a nut for Mustang?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

MG69 Mustang Nut - How to find a nut for Mustang?

Post by TomTom » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:48 am

I have tried to find a nut (bone preferred) to my MG69 MIJ Mustang, but haven´t found a one.
Does somebody know, if Fender or some third party makes any pre slotted nuts to MG69?

I bought Fender original, but it is too wide and I bought one another but it was not curved from the bottom.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MG69 Mustang Nut - How to find a nut for Mustang?

Post by Jaguar018 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:20 am

I am not a nut expert, but my understanding is that it's not really about the guitar model. There are no specific Mustang, Jaguar, or Jazzmaster pre-cut nuts. It is more about the width of the neck and the neck's radius. Then there is fine-tuning based on preferred string gauge.

I'm not sure where you're located, but here is Stew Mac's site that offers selections based on your neck and its radius.

TomTom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TomTom » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:14 am

Problem is string spread, it is too wide.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:22 pm

You'll need a true 'blank', then cut and shape the slots to suit.

Any decent guitar tech or luthier will be able to do this for you for a reasonable fee.

FWIW I believe a MG69 Mustang will want a curved bottom.

Those pre-slotted nuts are only cut with shallow guide slots to get you started anyway, and still require final cutting/finishing to suit the specific neck specs and fret height/wear.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Paco
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paco » Sat Nov 07, 2020 3:56 pm

I'm pretty sure you can buy Stew Mac's Fender 7-1/4" radius bridge with the normal curved bottom ( or you could get the flat bottom just so you can control 100% of the nut dimensions) and it will fit with the Mustang string spacing. If you want even more control, buy the blank bone nut and fill the string spacing yourself. I'm sure the pre slotted one will work tho.

This link has already been posted, I recently bought a couple of these bridges and my guitars really came alive.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... e-nut.html

On both options you'll have to sand the nut to the guitar's fit. This is a delicate process, but its not that hard if you sand really slowly and carefully.