Monty’s Retro Wind Jazzmaster pickups

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ThatGuyOverThere
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Monty’s Retro Wind Jazzmaster pickups

Post by ThatGuyOverThere » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:31 am

Just placed an order for these pickups today. I love my AV65 JM but based on the description these pickups will resolve every struggle I’ve had with the stock pickups. Has anyone else had any experience with them?

https://www.montysguitars.com/collectio ... pickup-set

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Monty’s Retro Wind Jazzmaster pickups

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:13 am

ThatGuyOverThere wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:31 am
Just placed an order for these pickups today. I love my AV65 JM but based on the description these pickups will resolve every struggle I’ve had with the stock pickups. Has anyone else had any experience with them?

https://www.montysguitars.com/collectio ... pickup-set
No, but sounds very promising.

Veitchy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Veitchy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:51 pm

Sounds like they offer a decent profile. I haven't heard these but his Tele pickups have pretty decent reputation. I don't mind a warmer bridge if only because JMs are about the only guitars where you may run into issues getting the bridge to have a similar volume as the neck.

Let us know how they sound once you've got them in.

ThatGuyOverThere
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThatGuyOverThere » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:29 pm

Well, after ordering them way back in November, receiving Jazz Bass pickups for some reason, and the real set sitting in Brexit-induced customs for six weeks (along with the dramatically high customs fees I wouldn't have needed to pay had they arrived on time...), my set of Retro Wind Jazzmaster pickups finally arrived yesterday and I installed them tonight, along with some 1Meg Emerson pots I had sitting around.

Holy cow, these are phenomenal. Neck pickup is everything I loved about the old Pure Vintage neck I was using, just fuller and more focused. The bridge pickup is the biggest leap forward though - it's still abrasive, punky Jazzmaster, but smoother in the high end and more midrange kick. It doesn't sound so thin when on it's own, and it balances really easily with the neck. Middle position is great, though it appears it isn't hum cancelling -

Besides a few kinks I haven't quite figured out with the volume control (probably my soldering handiwork is responsible), I'm so impressed with these. Highly recommended. I'll give more feedback later.