Slight gap in the neck pocket.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Loomer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Slight gap in the neck pocket.

Post by Loomer » Thu May 08, 2008 2:21 am

I recently assembled a CIJ JM from two different guitars, but about 4 years apart in production dates. The body is an '03 and the neck is an '07. I noticed a slight gap between the butt of the neck and the pocket of the body. (this is doubtlessly why aen was able to get a MIM tele neck onto his JM body in this thread.)

It doesn't seem to affect the play or stability at all. Is the anything, short of filling and redrilling the neck holes, that I can do? Some sort of a shim, perhaps? Or should I just leave well enough alone? You can't notice it at all unless you're looking for it. It's only a matter of a millimeter or two, but it's by no means flush.

Whatcha all think?  ???

electricity
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Slight gap in the neck pocket.

Post by electricity » Thu May 08, 2008 5:28 am

The neck pocket on my AVRI is not a perfect fit (not at the butt, rather the sides) but everything aligns and intonates well.  I am obsessive about these things and it bugs me that it's not "perfect", but the bottom line is that if it plays well, this is just cosmetic and will really only be noticed by the owner.

If I practiced as much as I worried about these little things I may actually get pretty good!
Gear:
boss cs-2/boss ps-3/boss dd-20/boss fz-2/mxr 10-band EQ/ehx dmm/ehx pulsar/ehx big muff/ehx small stone/ marshall drivemaster/alesis quadraverb/vox v847 wah/ehx dmmHAZ

jbuckner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jbuckner » Tue May 13, 2008 7:59 am

I wouldn't worry about the gap in the neck pocket as long as everything lines up over the pickups.

If you ever look at a Fender from the 70's you'll see some grand canyons in the neck pockets. Fender was really bad about gaps in the 70's.
Good Deals: Casbah, Dren68

JMDen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JMDen » Sun May 18, 2008 8:13 am

jbuckner wrote: I wouldn't worry about the gap in the neck pocket as long as everything lines up over the pickups.

If you ever look at a Fender from the 70's you'll see some grand canyons in the neck pockets. Fender was really bad about gaps in the 70's.
+1. As long as part of the neck is in contact with the body, small gaps while cosmetically disturbing may aren't too much of an impact on the performace of the guitar. Though a good pocket fit is always preferred, of course.
-Dennis

Carbohydrates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Carbohydrates » Sun May 18, 2008 8:29 am

jbuckner wrote: I wouldn't worry about the gap in the neck pocket as long as everything lines up over the pickups.

Yeah, there was a lovely white-faded-to-yellow Jag in Guitar Maniacs in Tacoma that had a pretty awful fit and really just sounded bad to me in general, but next time I went in, someone had bought it, so whatever!

jbuckner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jbuckner » Sun May 18, 2008 12:14 pm

In the 70's Fender made a bunch of dogs. Take a look at their amps, once the master volume came into play the amps went to shit.

Fender in the 70's was the reason that people wanted pre CBS Fenders.
Good Deals: Casbah, Dren68