Staytrem Bridge advice

For help with setups and other technical issues.
bjornsynneby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Staytrem Bridge advice

Post by bjornsynneby » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Matching string distance btw bridge and trem isn’t the first thing you do when you have a buzz problem. When I chased tone on one of my Jazzmaster guitars I did the shim and string gauge steps. As a last improvement (after trying out three different bridges) I matched the mustang bridge (e-e 55mm) to an AVRI tremolo (55mm) and I felt I could hear a marginal improvement when changing from my hosco tremolo (52mm).

On my other Jazzmaster I have the staytrem bridge (52mm) and a Hosco trem (52mm). An AVRI trem with a Staytrem bridge should be fine. And actually Staytrem bridges should be fine with MIK tremolo units aswell.

The shim will have a much larger effect than matching string distances. If you still have buzz after shimming you can try .010” string gauge or a shim with higher angle.

Buying a Descendant tremolo is expensive but will further increase the break angle over the bridge if you feel you must have the thinner strings on...

barryd
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by barryd » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:35 am

just a plus 1 on the Staytrem - it solved my buzz issues. I use it with a AVRI tremolo admittedly with 11's on a Jaguar (like 10's on a JM?) but i was getting buzz even with 11's using a Mustang bridge as I was before that with the stock Player series bridge that the guitar came with. The construction of the Staytrem is much more solid with both high and low E saddles restricted from lateral movement which I believe caused much of the buzz. I'm sure AM Pro bridge would also work as would a Mastery but neither are an economic option where I live.

Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snowmonkey » Mon May 03, 2021 9:09 am

Just revisiting this post. I am nearly there with action, fret buzes, bridge height etc. But from time to time I get this loud, deep reverberation from the Staytrem bridge. I am (almost) 100% sure it is the bridge because the problem goes instantly by squeezing the two end saddles.

So what I think is happening is that there is a tiny bit of play with the saddles, so little it isn't noticable but every so often a gap forms between two which is large enough to reverberate.

I am now trying to come up with a solution for this. The best I can come up with is cut some paper into small sections and try and squeeze between the saddles. But before I embark on this possibly futile task, does anyone have a more elegant solution?

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Mon May 03, 2021 9:24 am

Snowmonkey wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:09 am
Just revisiting this post. I am nearly there with action, fret buzes, bridge height etc. But from time to time I get this loud, deep reverberation from the Staytrem bridge. I am (almost) 100% sure it is the bridge because the problem goes instantly by squeezing the two end saddles.

So what I think is happening is that there is a tiny bit of play with the saddles, so little it isn't noticable but every so often a gap forms between two which is large enough to reverberate.

I am now trying to come up with a solution for this. The best I can come up with is cut some paper into small sections and try and squeeze between the saddles. But before I embark on this possibly futile task, does anyone have a more elegant solution?
I’ve never had such a problem with my Staytrems (four of them), but could there be a rough edge or tiny bit of swarf between the saddles that gives a source of vibration? I’d try taking the bridge off and winding the saddles back and forth gently so you can get at the side faces, and clean them and inspect for any rough edges. You could possibly grease the sides of the saddles, but you’d need to keep the grease well away from the string grooves, so caution on that.
All the cheeses....

Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snowmonkey » Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:24 am
I’ve never had such a problem with my Staytrems (four of them)
It is a real puzzler because the bridge is so well made. But because pinching the end saddles stops the problem, I am pretty sure the bridge is the culprit. I will try what you suggested, see if that makes a difference. Thanks.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Tue May 04, 2021 9:32 am

I am very interested to see how this gets solved. (And I hope that's not a bridge swap haha!) I just got into these bridges, just about a month ago. Once I was kindly directed on this site, I was able to get them properly set up. My only issue is that the tuning is slightly less stable than with a Mastery. I also think my ears are breaking because I feel like I've forgotten how to hear certain pitches. (Some strings sound flat or sharp despite the tuner saying it's perfect.)

I'm curious if the bits of paper wedges solves it!

Dan

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Sat May 08, 2021 6:42 am

https://staytrem.com/epages/950002362.s ... tent_page1

It couldn’t be that the nylon retainer discs, or one of them has worked itself loose?

I had some issues with my Staytrem collet and emailed John asking and he got back pretty promptly, so could be worth emailing him too.

Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snowmonkey » Sat May 08, 2021 8:46 am

I have one of the newer bridges which has done away with the nylon collet. Each screw now has a metal retaining ring instead. I did wonder whether they could be the cause of the buzz, but hard to test...