Staytrem selling internationally again

For help with setups and other technical issues.
askemattias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Staytrem selling internationally again

Post by askemattias » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:19 am

Thanks for your replies everybody! The danish equivalent of VAT is 25 % and it's even added to shipping cost as well, plus there is a handling fee of 20 euro, so it all adds up to quite a bit...

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 am

just ordered a Staytrem arm & collet for a Bass VI project. everything's backordered, but who cares -- the project's been sitting here unfinished for 10 years already. i did include a note thanking him for shipping internationally again, and for the excellence of his products.

would've gladly ordered a bridge too, but i still have one of Motel Asimov's VI bridges sitting here ... see if i can finally put it to good use :)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 pm

dc wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:32 am
just ordered a Staytrem arm & collet for a Bass VI project. everything's backordered, but who cares -- the project's been sitting here unfinished for 10 years already. i did include a note thanking him for shipping internationally again, and for the excellence of his products.

would've gladly ordered a bridge too, but i still have one of Motel Asimov's VI bridges sitting here ... see if i can finally put it to good use :)
It took about 6 weeks for my arm and collet to arrive. Love the Priest=Aura avatar, DC!

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:22 am

I ordered a 9.5" and a BassVI Feb. 15th and 19th, respectively. He shipped in about two weeks from order date on both, and then one disappeared into Customs at Heathrow and the other at O'Hare about a week after shipping. Massively annoying, but it's not a Staytrem problem. I'm sure the only things passing in or out of Britain smoothly right now are birds, and there are people on the ground yelling up at them anyway.

They show up when they show up.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:08 am

I've been tracking my 2nd one now forever. Shipped March 5. Dispatched through Langley March 7.

Then nothing.... until March 19 when all of the sudden USPS has it processed though ISC Chicago.

Hoping it gets out of there and on the road soon but who knows. :fp:
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

Backdrop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Backdrop » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:09 pm

Has anyone replaced just the arm & collet on their Squiers with the Staytrem?

How were the results if you did? Worth it?

CaptainCrunch
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CaptainCrunch » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:12 pm

Got my BassVI bridge today and installed it along with a AVRI trem unit and some LaBella flats. Nice quality bridge, and the three upgrades together are a game-changer. The 9.5" StayTrem shows it's processed through US Customs as of today. We'll see when it shows.

blimpage
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blimpage » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 am

Backdrop wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:09 pm

I haven't done it on a Squier, but I've done it for a MIJ Jaguar and a MIM Jaguarillo, and it was definitely worth it on both.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:02 am

blimpage wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 am
Backdrop wrote:

I haven't done it on a Squier, but I've done it for a MIJ Jaguar and a MIM Jaguarillo, and it was definitely worth it on both.
I did it on a Squier CV Bass VI - worth it for me!
All the cheeses....

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:43 pm

I just reached out to John this week and sadly, he is not making bridges for CP Jazzmasters again.
I’m brand new on here, so I’m guessing there’s a thread where I can learn about the current available drop-in options that are not priced like a Mastery ?
Finish the task

wproffitt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wproffitt » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:55 pm

I’m putting a Staytrem on my CP JM. The fix is to drop some set screws into the TOM bridge thimbles, so I hear. I’ll let you know how it works when the bridge shows up.

Backdrop
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Backdrop » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:49 pm

Bradley-Jazz wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:02 am
blimpage wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:26 am
Backdrop wrote:

I did it on a Squier CV Bass VI - worth it for me!
Thanks. Good to know. I'll be buying it for a VM Bass VI and CV Jaguar.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 am

Just got the 7.25” bridge and stuck in on the avri jag. From the time of ordering it took about three weeks to deliver. Easy process to install, but the low E buzzes. I wish I could raise just that one string, the others don’t buzz anywhere. I had the frets leveled and the low E buzzes on every fret. I had to raise the whole bridge and while it got better, it still buzzes. Strangely, the intonation needed no adjusting! It was perfect out of the box. Also this bridge does not have the intonation screws going all the way across into both sides of the bridge.

Also got the collet / arm upgrade. The collet is super nice - but the trem arm tip doesn’t screw off! I had to mangle it to remove it, and then I used a heat gun to stick another tip on there. I don’t understand why that arm isn’t threaded... Seems weird for an outfit making a non-Fender drop-in part to suddenly get proprietary!?

I did notice however, that the tone changed in a big way. Less chimey and somehow warmer, more erhm, “vintage” sounding. Darker, bassier in all strings, not just the low E, but with some tone tweaks it still has that jaguar sound. I think since I use a ton of spring reverb, I really needed that change! I could strike the high E without my ears recoiling. I don’t like flatwounds, but the bridge kinda adds a flatwound flavor to the strings. Which is great! I took a Mastery off for this and I think it will stay off of this guitar.

I have a second 9.5” bridge coming for the thin skin JM, which may not be a better change than the Mastery that’s currently on that one. Since it’s already darker and warmer. We’ll see!

Dan

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:15 pm

DeathJag wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 am
Also got the collet / arm upgrade. The collet is super nice - but the trem arm tip doesn’t screw off! I had to mangle it to remove it, and then I used a heat gun to stick another tip on there. I don’t understand why that arm isn’t threaded... Seems weird for an outfit making a non-Fender drop-in part to suddenly get proprietary!?
It’s an interference fit - just needs hot water - http://www.staytrem.co.uk/tip-fit

A regular Fender trem tip can be heat fitted on with this method.
All the cheeses....

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:20 pm

I just got my staytrem arm and collet and installed it on the spot. The hardest part was certainly unscrewing the original collet, I had to use some kind of long metal tool to have enough leverage against the wrench, it was really tight.

I'm really happy with it though, I've had this jazzmaster for a decade and the trem arm was always rattling or almost falling out, with an AVRI trem. It now is very responsive, you can flick the arm to flutter, etc.. :-*