G string action question

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

G string action question

Post by Snowmonkey » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:44 pm

Hi all, hope you can help me understand what is going on with my g string!

I have a Fender Player Jazzmaster with one of the new Staytrem bridges. This model of JM has the tremolo quite close to the bridge, so I can have the bridge (and consequently the action) low without buzzing from the bridge.

Fretboard and bridge are both 9.5" radius.

Action is good! On all strings. Except the g string which has a slight metallic jangle on nearly every fret. I can't get my head around why the action would be perfect except for one string. It isn't crazy bad, and it isn't hugely noticeable when amplified. But it is there and it is annoying the heck out of me.

Any suggestions? My bridge is slighly higher at the low end so it might have something to do with that. Otherwise I am baffled.

Thanks in advance...

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: G string action question

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:24 am

It could be the G string contacting the back edge of the bridge plate (you should be able to see that if you look closely).

The nut could be a candidate too, but less likely if it does it when fretted.
All the cheeses....

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:44 am

Usually that type of sympathetic buzzing is caused by something rattling. It can be really hard to find the source of the rattle, but good candidates are the nut and the bridge as mentioned. I'd also check the vibrato arm and the rhythm circuit (the bracket sometimes rattles), and the switch.

It's also possible you have a defective string (it does happen occasionally).

Also this particular issue doesn't really have anything to do with string action, which is basically just the height of the strings from the frets.

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:05 am

So its fixed saddles otherwise id say it can contact the plate or the screw. However shimming could make it do that.

Sometimes it can be the shape of slots, id hesitate to suggest filing them though. Barrels are a bad shape, but not too bad. See a tune-o-matic, there is nothing infront of the contact point but a barrel gradually curves away- see a sitar bridge which is made for intentional buzz. They can also not fit the string exactly and it moves about in that triangular cravass.

Snowmonkey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Snowmonkey » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:37 am

Ah, so I thought it was jangly fret buzz, that is why I mentioned the action. It seems to be coming from the frets, but then I know buzzes can be quite deceiving. I will do some more investigation...

bjornsynneby
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bjornsynneby » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:11 am

Sitar buzz can come from the nut aswell. Also, how is your release? Maybe its just a question of lowering tension slightly on the truss rod? (Since you lowered the action when you changed to staytrem.)