NGD: All about that Squire BASS VI (just one problem)

For help with setups and other technical issues.
daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

NGD: All about that Squire BASS VI (just one problem)

Post by daemon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:35 am

So I've been watching these for a while and finally, after my baritone neck search went dry, found a good deal on a demo model and went for it. It arrived yesterday and looks and feels beautiful!

The only issue is I plugged it in and got no sound from it. At least I thought it was no sound, turns out it was just a super incredibly faint sound that I could hear a bit when turned all the way up with distortion on. I took the control plate off and didn't notice anything obviously out of whack, so while it was plugged in I just gently moved stuff around and lo and behold when moving the red wire it sounded normal. I screwed it back on and it's been fine since, but I have a lingering concern that this will happen again. I assume it got triggered during shipping.
Here's the red wire in question, going from one of the pots to the jack:

I don't really want to send it back, since I love it and these things are hard to find at the moment. It's supposed to have the original warranty so I should be able to take it to an authorized dealer and have it fixed, right? I'm not used to owning new guitars :P .

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: All about that Squire BASS VI (just one problem)

Post by jorri » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:01 am

That's the final output wire. Its as easy as a cold solder probably although perhaps an issue with the jack or pot.

With such fine guitars you get what you pay for somewhere. On mine was having some pickups installed opposite ways to others and fixed a weak sound only by unscrewing and turning around, but no idea to this day if it was just the claws i was supposed to reverse.

Oh, also on mine the pots kind of turn in their holes, so that can strain a wire. Could be anything, temperature, or missed weak solder, overheated pot etc. Either you can solder or cant to fix it.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:49 pm

jorri wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:01 am
That's the final output wire. Its as easy as a cold solder probably although perhaps an issue with the jack or pot.

With such fine guitars you get what you pay for somewhere. On mine was having some pickups installed opposite ways to others and fixed a weak sound only by unscrewing and turning around, but no idea to this day if it was just the claws i was supposed to reverse.

Oh, also on mine the pots kind of turn in their holes, so that can strain a wire. Could be anything, temperature, or missed weak solder, overheated pot etc. Either you can solder or cant to fix it.
Cool, appreciate the info. I've been playing on it all day today without issues, so I guess I'll see how things go. This is is one fun guitar, though.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:42 am

I took it in to the Fender Authorized place near me and it did turn out to be a cold solder, that he fixed on the spot. While he was doing that another wire came loose so he fixed that too. Hopefully that's the end of that saga, glad to know that the warranty actually worked! Now I just need to wait for my La Bella strings to come in stock.

smjenkins
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by smjenkins » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:22 pm

Is your one problem no treble?

😃
Last edited by smjenkins on Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:08 am

smjenkins wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:22 pm
It's your one problem no treble?

😃
Fortunately there's a bass cut switch, so problem solved! :P