Strat-style bridge replacement advice?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Strat-style bridge replacement advice?

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 am

Hey all. I have this guitar i'm working on (Hohner JT60) and the bridge on it kinda sucks so i'm looking to replace it. The problem is that the current bridge has a not-so-standard mount. Its a two screw kinda deal, with the screws in bushings, and 2 7/16" screw spacing. I've seen replacement bridges that are of a similar mount but they all seem to have post spacing either too wide or too narrow. Pic below.

So two questions:

1) Anyone know of any bridge I may have missed that will fit these posts?

2) If I have to start over i'll pull the bushings, fill the holes and go with something new. Anyone have recommendations for a replacement strat-type bridge that they like?
Instagram: thetonyballs

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strat-style bridge replacement advice?

Post by HarlowTheFish » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:36 am

Dr Tony Balls wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:10 am
Hey all. I have this guitar i'm working on (Hohner JT60) and the bridge on it kinda sucks so i'm looking to replace it. The problem is that the current bridge has a not-so-standard mount. Its a two screw kinda deal, with the screws in bushings, and 2 7/16" screw spacing. I've seen replacement bridges that are of a similar mount but they all seem to have post spacing either too wide or too narrow. Pic below.

So two questions:

1) Anyone know of any bridge I may have missed that will fit these posts?

2) If I have to start over i'll pull the bushings, fill the holes and go with something new. Anyone have recommendations for a replacement strat-type bridge that they like?
Having done some work on floating trems, the older stuff is often finicky because it's non-standard spacing (as you have here) or it's got some sort of weird parts that you can't get replaced if they break. In this case I'd suggest a swap if you feel up to it, because it's probably gonna have to happen at some point anyway, either to a Hipshot (the Contour will give you a bit more range, the flatmount is just a nice Strat trem for not a ton of cash) or Gotoh (the 510 two-pointers, especially the ones with the raised sides and heavier baseplates have a bit less range than the Contour but a ton of sustain when decked, and the 6-screw ones are just really well-built).

Dr Tony Balls
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Strat-style bridge replacement advice?

Post by Dr Tony Balls » Sun May 02, 2021 6:25 am

Thanks very much for the response! Going with the Hipshot Contour.
Instagram: thetonyballs