New Bridge Pickup won't work by itself

For help with setups and other technical issues.
reese_jpg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Bridge Pickup won't work by itself

Post by reese_jpg » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:07 am

Hey all,
I've got a Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazzmaster I wanted to mod a bit. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan JB, and everything's been working perfect. All of a sudden, the bridge pickup is really quiet, to the point my amp at max volume is quieter than what I normally have it at 30% volume.
My original guess was that my first attempt at soldering was bad, but the bridge pickup works at perfect volume when I have it set the the middle position. I tapped every pole piece and got a good loud sound, but as soon as i set it back the the bridge only, it's quiet again.
My only guess now is that the toggle switch could be bad? The neck pickup, in the past, has just cut out if I switch it too fast, so it wouldn't be the first issue with it. I'm pretty new to this, so any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated

charmonder
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Bridge Pickup won't work by itself

Post by charmonder » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:34 am

you can spray some deoxit into the pickup selector from the top and then switch it a few times it should be good

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:15 pm

Contact cleaner is a must-have spray. No matter if your guitar is a 1952 start or a 2021 squire, all pots and toggles need some contact cleaner once a year or so.

If contact cleaner isn't doing the job, then replace with a decent switch. Ignore Fender switches, they are not worth the money. Switchcraft are my go to switches.

As you have a humbucker, do you split the coil? If so and you're in the UK I will post you an awesome mod circuit I've designed - for free. It makes your split cook sound more authentic like a single coil while reducing hum.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

reese_jpg
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by reese_jpg » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:25 pm

ChrisDesign wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:15 pm
Contact cleaner is a must-have spray. No matter if your guitar is a 1952 start or a 2021 squire, all pots and toggles need some contact cleaner once a year or so.

If contact cleaner isn't doing the job, then replace with a decent switch. Ignore Fender switches, they are not worth the money. Switchcraft are my go to switches.

As you have a humbucker, do you split the coil? If so and you're in the UK I will post you an awesome mod circuit I've designed - for free. It makes your split cook sound more authentic like a single coil while reducing hum.
Thanks! I'll try that out!
I've actually not given too much thought to splitting the coil, since I was trying not to overwhelm myself. I'm brand new to learning about guitar electronics, so would it be too difficult, and would it be worth it? I am in the US though :/
I do wish I had a bridge single coil at times, but I can't justify buying another guitar right now.