Jazzmaster for switching between standard and alternate tunings?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
figgypudding18
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jazzmaster for switching between standard and alternate tunings?

Post by figgypudding18 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:54 pm

Hi All, I'm looking at buying my one and only electric guitar (for a while, at least). I'm considering the Jazzmaster, the Strat, and the Tele. Out of all of them, the Jazzmaster sound is my favorite, though I love all three. However, the next big requirement is that I can switch back and from from standard to different alternate tunings quickly and easily (within reason). Because the JM has a trem and the fact that everyone says Tele's are indestructable I'm led to believe that the telecaster would be better for this application. Not sure where the strat's trem ranks among them in this area.

Anyway, could use some opinions here from the offsetters...thanks all!

figgypudding18
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Jazzmaster for switching between standard and alternate tunings?

Post by figgypudding18 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:00 pm

Also, would something like the duo sonic with heavier gauge strings be ridiculous for adjusting between standard and alternate tunings, or could it work?

marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by marqueemoon » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:10 pm

If I could only have one electric guitar it would definitely be a Tele.

Intonation is going to be a compromise when going from standard to whatever alternate tuning(s) you're using. This may or may not be a problem depending on how radically different they are.

stillzZz
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stillzZz » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:20 am

I do this a lot with my Jazzmasters and never run into issues. For some reason my others tend to stay in standard. I just love the way JMs sound and react with alternate tunings.

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:21 am

A telecaster is the best workhorse.

My recommendation:
Telecaster > Jazzmaster > Stratocaster

The telecaster’s tones are incredibly versatile. It will sound at home everywhere from funk, to jazz, to country, to pop, to black metal! The fixed bridge makes tuning more stable. Why? Because a trem has springs that must balance string tension. When you change tuning you must rebalance the springs.

On a Stratocaster, your springs are balanced by screwing the rear spring retainer in/ out of the body a little. Therefore, balancing strings means taking the back off and going back and forth between screwing and tuning until the bridge floats parallel to the body. Every time you change tunings (e.g., E to Eb) you must do this.

On a jazzmaster, this is easy, you turn one screw. However, MIM jazzmaster omit the lock button, so you must guess the balance point. If you buy a MIM jazzmaster, it’s advisable to switch the vibrato out for a USA Trem unit to get the lock button. The Japan trem is a bad idea as it’s slightly larger, meaning you must remove a tiny bit of the wood at the back of the trem cavity to use the trem to its full range. Another reason to swap the MIM vibrato for a USA one is the lock button fixes the vibrato. So if you go down in tuning, your trem stays locked. This means you need not rebalance the trem when going from standard to Drop tuning, or from E to Eb (etc).

The telecaster’s bridge is fixed, so there is nothing to rebalance as you change tunings. You will have to change intonation, but that’s simple.

The player mustang and duo sonic both have fixed bridges. They will work fine. But they have a shorter scale length. You may love that sound and feel. The strings will feel slinkier with less tension. Nevertheless, I cannot know your tone and feel preference. If in doubt go for the telecaster, it’s the tries and true choice.

The other factor is looks. Which one looks better to you? If you love how it looks then your guitar will make an awesome decoration when you’re not playing it.

The choice is yours.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

ChrisDesign
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ChrisDesign » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:28 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:10 pm

Intonation is going to be a compromise when going from standard to whatever alternate tuning(s) you're using. This may or may not be a problem depending on how radically different they are.
Telecaster intonation is only a compromise when using a traditional three saddle bridge. Fender make a lot of six saddle telecasters, so just avoid the three saddle ones and you’re good to go.
"I own a '66 Jaguar. That's the guitar I polish, and baby - I refuse to let anyone touch it when I jump into the crowd." - Kurt Cobain

jorri
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jorri » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:10 am

ChrisDesign wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:28 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:10 pm

Telecaster intonation is only a compromise when using a traditional three saddle bridge. Fender make a lot of six saddle telecasters, so just avoid the three saddle ones and you’re good to go.
Its a compromise rather because your intonation depends on what you are tuned to- its nothing to do with bridge type.

As for Jazzmasters the lock button is very handy for downtuning. Just engage it and you wont have trem issues. I mostly only downbend anyway.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:21 am

If your favorite sound is the Jazzmaster, then just get that, and make it work. It'll be fine for alternate tunings.

Moving from tuning to tuning on the same guitar has challenges, but there's nothing about the Jazzmaster that will make it not possible. Just get the guitar well set up and have at it.

No reason to settle on a guitar you feel less joyful about.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:49 pm

I switch tunings all the time on most of my guitars. It's worked perfectly with my Jazzmaster, tunings both up and down. If this is the guitar you like the best, get that one. I don't expect you'll have any issues.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Nick and the Noise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Nick and the Noise » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 am

What are you all doing with the nut? Do you have very broad nut slots to accommodate various string gauges? Does this have any downsides - I can imagine oversized nut slots would perhaps affect your sustain or introduce rattling?

Beebe
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Beebe » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:26 am

I use FACGCE a lot and the intonation issues are obvious and unpleasant if the bridge isn't set up for it. Depending on the tuning, you may find that having a guitar set up for it is the way to go. You can pick the right string gauges to get the best tension and file the nut accordingly as well. Get the JM and the Tele!
Without music, life would be a mistake.