Shortscale Bass String Recommendations

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Shortscale Bass String Recommendations

Post by Regan » Wed May 21, 2008 6:03 pm

Does Fender make mediumscale strings? It's odd if they only make shortscale bass strings and they won't even fit the Mustang.

hieronymous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hieronymous » Wed May 21, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeah, that's partly why I'm second-guessing myself. It could be that short scale strings will just fit. Also, it might only matter if they have silk at the headstock end. I'll try and ask a few people that might know at another forum.
4 strings, 6 strings, 8 strings, more! (basses, that is)

hieronymous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hieronymous » Wed May 21, 2008 9:41 pm

OK, I've got some better information. It looks like I was probably right about the LaBellas, but other strings should be OK. Here's what my informant said:

"...it all depends on the winding length of the particular brand. He can figure the minimum winding length he needs by marking an existing string at the nut, removing it and measuring from the ball end to the mark. Then he'll need to check with the manufacturer. Unless something has changed recently, D'addario's shortscales have 32" wound length, 32 1/2" for GHS. Other brands will differ. Fender's 5250XL shortscale nickel plated steel roundwound set is advertised as fitting a Mustang. IIRC, LaBella shortscales won't."

Hope this helps!

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Thu May 22, 2008 3:59 am

You bet it helps! Thanks! That makes sense now. I guess I should buy first buy some that I am sure will fit. Taking some measurements as I change them might be helpful for later.

Thanks again!

Regan

By the way, I finally got some pics up in the Offset Guitars forum.

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:03 am

Just wondering how often you guys change your bass strings? Some said that flats last longer, but about how often do you change them?

I know when my guitar strings need changing. I can tell by the sound, feel, look, etc. I guess it's the same way for bass strings, but when it comes to sound, it seems the low frequencies would make it more difficult to detect.

jem_jack
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jem_jack » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:11 pm

I found out the hard way that the d'addario short scales (exl220s) do not fit my mustang (reissue).  >:( 
Bass strings last a long time; longer if you clean them.  I clean mine all the time with vodka (tho not necessarily intentionally) ;D

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:06 pm

jem_jack wrote: I found out the hard way that the d'addario short scales (exl220s) do not fit my mustang (reissue).   >:( 
Bass strings last a long time; longer if you clean them.  I clean mine all the time with vodka (tho not necessarily intentionally) ;D
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. My daughter's hands sweat some, so I have always taught her to keep them wiped down.

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:47 pm

yeah just wipe them down. and flats last a lot longer...forever almost haha, since they dont accumulate grime as much (barely at all actually) as rounds. i use flats on my jazz bass. they sound great.
that said, flats are much harder on the fingers...i get massive callouses on my fingers from playing flats. its worth it imo though :) 

peter_s
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by peter_s » Sat Jun 21, 2008 4:42 am

Regan wrote: Just wondering how often you guys change your bass strings? Some said that flats last longer, but about how often do you change them?
That's impossible to answer objectively, but as a rule I'd say: "when they break". Flats usually sounds better with age, so as long as you like how they sound, just leave them on. I had a Precision strung with flats once, and I think I used the same strings for three or four years. And then I sold the bass. If I hadn't, those strings would probably be on it still. And I know of people who've had the same flats on for decades. without complaints. 

As for string suggestions, if you and your daughter want the lightest, most flexible string available (at least to my knowledge), get a set of Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds. I've had a set of those on my fretted four string, and I simply love them. They sound very warm and round. The feel, however, is not for everyone. They are very low in tension. It's the same thing with the Jazz Flats from the same brand (which is what I had on my Precision). Thomastik-Infeld Jazz strings are unique, and somewhat expensive, but they're well worth it in the long run. I think I had the Jazz Rounds on for about two or three years on my bass, and they still sounded excellent. However, now I've restrung the bass with a set of D'Addario Chromes, which are flats. The sound of those are a bit more appropriate for the band I play in now; it's slightly fatter and bassier.

I should also add that the strings I've mentioned are all available in medium scale lenght. (that's what I need on my bass too)

hieronymous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hieronymous » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:44 am

If you need the really bright, piano-tone of rounds, then a lot of people will change them when that sound goes away. My hands sweat something very corrosive to that sound, so when I was playing out I changed them about once every couple of shows - fortunately, at that time there were strings called "Vinci" that cost $10 a pack!

If that zingy sound isn't important, then flats or old rounds are fine. The one thing to be aware of, though, is that strings can be damaged from continually being mashed against the frets. And if you take them off and put them back on, they can get torque. Both of these can affect intonation. So when I get a new bass, I like to put on a fresh set of strings before setting the intonation. I had one bass with Rotosound Tru Bass black nylon strings, and after a few years I noticed that the intonation, which had never been great to start with (since the ball-end silk wraps extended over the bridge saddles!) went WAY OUT the window - put on LaBella flats and it was like an entirely new bass.

That was the long answer - my short answer is, change them when the sound is no longer adequate, or when the strings have been somehow damaged and/or intonation becomes an issue.

Regan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Regan » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:34 am

Thanks! Lot's of excellent advice!!!!

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:14 am

Now, why on earth would you want HEAVIER than average strings on a jaguar, a short scale guitar, and LIGHTER than usual strings on a shortscale bass?

I would recommend slightly heavier strings.  I had them on my bronco bass, the biggest set of Ernie Balls in the store.  I could even tune the bass low, if i needed to.
I prefer their older stuff.