Tremolo Lock on CIJ

For help with setups and other technical issues.
chrisrussell
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Tremolo Lock on CIJ

Post by chrisrussell » Mon May 19, 2008 12:23 pm

I've been trying to get the lock on and it doesn't seem to do it. I've heard that it's because CIJ have badly made tremolo systems.

When I take it apart it looks as if the bit which should lock the upward movement is to small.

I've also had a look at the webrocker site and my trem systems lock seems smaller than the one on the diagram - or is this imagination?

Anyone have any ideas - would be great to get this thing working.

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tremolo Lock on CIJ

Post by spacecadet » Mon May 19, 2008 1:54 pm

chrisrussell wrote: I've been trying to get the lock on and it doesn't seem to do it. I've heard that it's because CIJ have badly made tremolo systems.
They're not as well made as the AVRI's.  But they're fully functional.  It's tricky to set them up is all.
I've also had a look at the webrocker site and my trem systems lock seems smaller than the one on the diagram - or is this imagination?

I don't think the diagram there is exactly to scale.

I just followed the instructions for setting it up and eventually I got it.  It is very tricky.  At one point I thought I had stripped my adjustment screw.  At another point I thought the same thing as you, that the way the thing is built is actually incapable of functioning the way it's supposed to, and that it was just purely cosmetic.  But no.  I stopped, then went back to it after a while and tried again, and all of a sudden at one point I slid that thing over and "click", it locked.

You just need to get it at exactly the right spot.  A nanometer too high and it won't slide over and lock.  A nanometer too low and it'll just slide freely and not lock.  (I hope I'm picturing this right, maybe I have it backwards.)  And there's really no easy way to "feel" where that spot is.

Also, you need to do this again whenever you change the weight of your strings.

-2N3904-
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by -2N3904- » Mon May 19, 2008 3:59 pm

chrisrussell wrote: I've been trying to get the lock on and it doesn't seem to do it. I've heard that it's because CIJ have badly made tremolo systems
i wouldnt say they are bad. mine works just like it should.
When I take it apart it looks as if the bit which should lock the upward movement is to small.

so it wont lock in?  are you pushing it back as far as it goes?

chrisrussell
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chrisrussell » Tue May 20, 2008 2:38 am

yeah. pushing it in as far as it goes - it seems to catch then when the tremolo arm is fully released it pushes the lock back out!

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by spacecadet » Tue May 20, 2008 6:27 am

chrisrussell wrote: yeah. pushing it in as far as it goes - it seems to catch then when the tremolo arm is fully released it pushes the lock back out!
Then it's not locking.  You need to adjust it further.  It *will* engage fully if it's adjusted properly.

Mine was doing all the same things yours is.  When I first got it, it'd engage like 1/4 of the way and then would just pop back out.  That's when I started adjusting it, and like I said initially it got all screwed up and I thought I'd basically broken it.  You just need to keep trying.