1965 Jaguar Tone pot binds

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Ground Control
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

1965 Jaguar Tone pot binds

Post by Ground Control » Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:44 pm

Hey folks, well the other day we were playing some old funky music so I bought out my old 1965 Fender Jaguar to help fill in the sound needed.
Well about ten minutes in my tone pot stated to jam up or if you will bind up. It seems as it works okay but if I start to turn it back and forth for about 10 turns it will start to bind. It also will crackle with movement, a lot.
I love the old pots as they are fairly easy to take apart for servicing but too many time one can brake off the strap tangs that hold the pot together.
Well I have this one apart but all looks just fine minus the lack of lube. I have cleaned the surface with contact cleaner, steel wooled the shaft of any burrs, lightly sanded the contact tips and put 20% back together and will do the same bind.
Of course this pot is inportant to this 1965 so we do want to save it if at all possible. I am not real schooled in the pot repair but it seems so basic but still I maybe missing something. Any input on a binding pot?? I may apply a small petroleum jelly on the shaft.
As soon as figure out how to load pictures on here I will pot what I have.
I Never Fret - I just Play