Low E sounds subsonic (almost) on my fender Jag

For help with setups and other technical issues.
auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Low E sounds subsonic (almost) on my fender Jag

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:37 pm

I have 3 Fender Jaguar.
The other 2 sound as I would expect (one is a olympic white CIJ and the other an AV USA).
I have just bought a 3rd one secondhand, its a candy apple red with matching headstock, CIJ.
And for some reason the low E sounds really different and boomy.
If, for example, i turn on my DOD Carcosa it doesn't react like all my other guitars, instead it sounds like some slightly fuzzy subsynth effect.
The previous owner did rewire the guitar to install a hotrail in the bridge and in doing so they seem to have reversed the positions of the rhythm circuit switches. Would that have something to do with it?

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Low E sounds subsonic (almost) on my fender Jag

Post by GreenKnee » Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:49 am

What's the pickup height, sadlle height and bridge height like? If that string is a lot closer to the pickup it could explain its boominess.

If the rhythm circuit switch is the wrong way round it may have just been installed backwards, but it sounds like a good excuse to pull the pickguard and plates to double check all the wiring anyway.

auxiliaryjoel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Low E sounds subsonic (almost) on my fender Jag

Post by auxiliaryjoel » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:59 am

I've just been toying with the pickup heights and bridge height and thw low e was considerably far away from the pickups. More so than my other jags.
What I've just realised though is the neck pickup has no claws on it. And both pickups are super low. If i adjust the neck pickup side screws the pickup casing moves up bit the 6 poles don't (so they in effect - recede further inside the pickup's casing.
It looks like someone's definitey done some DIY pickup adjusting that hasn't worked out quite right. It sounds and plays great in general except for the low E. I think ill send it to a tech or luthier to suss out the wiring and pickups in order to sort out this low E and dosgy pickup installation.