Sunday Handwired pickups FTW.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Sunday Handwired pickups FTW.

Post by GreenKnee » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:28 am

Daitong II wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:34 pm
Would love to hear about your opinion on those. I was thinking about getting a set.
Will let you know how they are once they arrive! They seem to be going round in circles in the USPS system unfortunately...

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:09 pm

Curiosity got the best of me so I ordered the opposite of an Iola set; Woody Neck and 5859 bridge + (9.1k)

So right now I have just the Woodys in my guitar. Woody neck and Woody + bridge. Here’s my thoughts…

First of all, my JM uses a 1 meg Volume pot and a 500k Tone pot. With the Woodys being A2, I think having a 1meg tone pot might be the way to go. Although, the middle position sounds really good with the 500k pot.

These A2 pickups make my Partsmaster sound more “vintage”. It has a slightly mellower tone but they are also very responsive. Meaning, if I dig and play a bit harder, I get a brighter sound. I really like the dynamics of this setup. I think I’ll try a 1 meg tone pot and see how I like it.

When I need to change the strings next, I’ll pop in the 5859 set and see how it goes.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:42 pm

Follow-up... I went with the 5859 set. They're a little more modern and I like the way they interact with my pedals.

The Woody set has a really sweet and vintage-y sound straight into amps, especially with Vox style circuits. The 5859 set just sounds a little more 'modern' straight in; more bass, mids and highs (without being harsh tho) but still has a vintage character. Compared to my vintage set from 1959, they're a little bigger/louder. Also, this is my first time using JM pickups with formvar wire and I'm now a fan.

In other related SHW news, I got a set of Tim's "JM in a humbucker" set for my Jaguar HH. I love them! They're built like a smaller JM pickup but the coil is a little taller. I went with A5 and Formvar. They're a bit thicker in sound, kinda like P90s in HB format, but still sparkle. They're perfect for making HH offsets sound more like a Fender without changing pickguards or adding back wood to the cavities.

PuppyGirlBelly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by PuppyGirlBelly » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 pm

lol, y'all are giving me GAS for the Iola's 😂 Can anybody compare the Freds or 5859's to an SD Antiquity II set? I love my current set but I'm curious if these are "better"?
Woof Woof (she/they)

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:34 pm

PuppyGirlBelly wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 pm
lol, y'all are giving me GAS for the Iola's 😂 Can anybody compare the Freds or 5859's to an SD Antiquity II set? I love my current set but I'm curious if these are "better"?
I like them better than the Duncan Antiquity II set. My gf's JM has them. They sound great in that guitar but what I don't like about the SD sets is that the middle position sounds too scooped to my ears. IDK why that is. With the SHW sets, the middle position sounds fuller like the vintage sets i'm used to.