Fretting Tools: what should I get?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fretting Tools: what should I get?

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:17 am

X2 again on what Timtam wrote.

I personally don't even have a fret rocker anymore. It disappeared and I never replaced it. I give every neck a full fret level and crown. Of course, I'm not a tech, and I really never go near high end guitars, that should already have great frets and may just need some spot work. I'm either making a new neck, buying a new neck, or dealing with cheaper, or rescued misfit guitars. I already know they've never been leveled. It's obvious, when the fret ends have never been dressed before. Some of them need the leveling more than others, but they all benefit in some degree to a full level. My longer beam works just fine for adding fall away to the end too.

I would expect, an older and well played guitar to have probably been leveled at some point. I'd assume stuff from high end and custom builders to have been leveled. Anything from a big factory though, I'd assume to need leveling. That's basically anything $2K and below. Warmoth or Allparts type replacement necks benefit from a leveling too. Have you seen the Rick & Morty bit about Morty experiencing "true level"?

Leveled frets might even be the single best investment you can make to improve an instrument.
If you can do it yourself, even better.

Doug
@dpcannafax

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:03 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:17 am
Leveled frets might even be the single best investment you can make to improve an instrument.
This. x1000000.

(And don't forget to touch up the nut slots afterwards.)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:07 pm

I'm about ready to the pull the trigger on tools to tackle re-fretting. Been doing my own setup work for a long time and have been honing leveling and dressing for a few years now. Looking to take it up a level and install whatever frets I want. For me that means project guitars vs service work and definitely looking at beater necks to learn on.

Have a mix of tools already. Hosco nut files, some StewMac files (fret end, crowning, nut shaping / seating files, the little mini vice is really great to have for nuts btw) Leveling with a smaller beam but want to eventually splurge for a longer one.

Will echo the wonder of having level and nicely dressed frets. Its a game changer and will make you want all your guitars to play as nice as possible.

Might have missed it but haven't seen anything yet on fret saws. Curious if anyone is using a saw to prep the slots....
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

eternal learner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eternal learner » Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:36 pm

Seems to be little chatter about fret rockers, to me they are absolutely invaluable, it's a quick way to check 1st) how bad a neck is before the work, 2nd) great for spotting minor discrepancies . Re the comment that the cheap Chinese fret rockers not so good, I have one from Stewmac and a cheap one from china for about a quarter of the cost, they are identical in quality and I would be confident that the Stewmac rocker is made in china. Rock on.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:55 pm

Tools you shouldn't skimp on: Fret saw, leveling beam, radius gauges/blocks, fret rocker.

Most other stuff can be made from commonplace tools. Hammering in is fine for your first couple of tries, but it's hard to overstate how much easier using a press of some sort is. Flush grind some end nippers to pull the frets and save a ton of money. Everything else (that I can think of right now) can be bought at most hardware stores. A fret radiusing tool can be made pretty easily, but I just used pre-cut frets my first few times.