Considerable treble loss within the first part of volume knob sweep.

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Guppy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Considerable treble loss within the first part of volume knob sweep.

Post by Guppy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:35 am

I've got a Jazzmaster I've built myself. It has "normal" Toltec A2 Jazzmaster pickups that I've wired to 1meg master and volume controls (audio and linear respectively). It's a barebones circuit without the JM rhythm circuit.

The guitar sounds great with that typical JM clarity and spank. But when I turn down the volume only a little bit (from 10 to 8 ) it seems to take out the treble frequencies first before actually dropping in volume. Is there any solution to this? Is this normal and one of the idiosyncrasies of 1 meg pots.

I've already wired it up 50's style and would like to stay away from treble bleeds. I use my volume knob extensively for cleaning up fuzz and drive. I would like to retain more treble down the volume sweep.
"wants the guitar with the most sustain, plays 20 notes per second"

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Considerable treble loss within the first part of volume knob sweep.

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:59 am

Guppy wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:35 am

I've already wired it up 50's style and would like to stay away from treble bleeds. I use my volume knob extensively for cleaning up fuzz and drive. I would like to retain more treble down the volume sweep.
Have you tried it before with regular wiring or did you put the 50s wiring right in? And what capacitor(s) are you using?

Is there a reason why you‘d like to stay away from treble bleeds?

I‘ve a Treble Bleed in about every single one of my Offsets (except the new Late 60s Traditional Jaguar from Japan…or at least I haven‘t checked yet) - and love how they interact with Fuzz and taking back the volume. But maybe I‘ve just adapted to their sound..

Guppy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guppy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:33 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:59 am
Guppy wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:35 am

Have you tried it before with regular wiring or did you put the 50s wiring right in? And what capacitor(s) are you using?

Is there a reason why you‘d like to stay away from treble bleeds?

I‘ve a Treble Bleed in about every single one of my Offsets (except the new Late 60s Traditional Jaguar from Japan…or at least I haven‘t checked yet) - and love how they interact with Fuzz and taking back the volume. But maybe I‘ve just adapted to their sound..
I've experimented a lot with wiring mods and treble bleeds. 50's wiring usually works the best. I play alt rock with plenty of fuzz and use my volume knob to go from (fairly) high gain to clean. With treble bleeds I've found that the sweep to clean ends up in an unnaturally bright and spiky sound. I've experimented with different formulas (caps/resistors) but I've never found anything that leaves me with a somewhat balanced clean sound. Although these experiments have been done on strats/teles and Gibson style guitars.
If anybody has a treble bleed that works om a JM I would like to hear.
The tone capacitor is a .22 Malory. But I've never experienced a tone cap influencing the volume clean up.

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:51 am

I've had the same experience as you, Guppy, with regards to treble bleeds. With the volume rolled down a decent amount to clean up fuzz/ OD the sound is way too unbalanced.

I've found on Jags and JMs that a lot of the useable range of the pot is between 10 and 8, and after that it's pretty much past it. This is across 6 Jags that I currently own ranging from a '62 to the latest being a 2018 American Original.

IceBlueBoogaloo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by IceBlueBoogaloo » Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:25 am

I have a pair of these coming in with my order that I’m looking to experiment with as I also find the initial roll off useful but everything beyond that to be too muddy. I’m curious to see if variable bleed would provide useful results. You could try looking into them if you haven’t already.

Guppy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Guppy » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:35 am

IceBlueBoogaloo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:25 am
I have a pair of these coming in with my order that I’m looking to experiment with as I also find the initial roll off useful but everything beyond that to be too muddy. I’m curious to see if variable bleed would provide useful results. You could try looking into them if you haven’t already.
Well, the problem I have is that the initial roll off takes out way to much treble. Even without really reducing volume.

IceBlueBoogaloo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by IceBlueBoogaloo » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:34 pm

Guppy wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:35 am
IceBlueBoogaloo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:25 am
Well, the problem I have is that the initial roll off takes out way to much treble. Even without really reducing volume.
I assume with a variable bleed you could at least reduce the initial roll off without entirely removing it. But I don’t think that addresses your issue with the curve itself.