Luthiers in Scotland?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JonnyB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Luthiers in Scotland?

Post by JonnyB » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:38 am

Can anyone recommend a good luthier/tech in or near Glasgow?
I’ve read a lot that not all techs know the ins and outs of the dreaded jazz/jag bridge so thought it would be interesting to see if there’s any good ones near me.

Cheers in advance

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Luthiers in Scotland?

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:21 am

I’ve actually been in the same boat as you man, not really found anyone I’m certain on yet. I had my Jazzmaster in to place called The Guitar Trade Centre for a wee tweak and the boy Stephen seemed great, but I’m looking for someone to do some fretwork and I’ve not been able to speak to anyone who’s had that done in there. I’ve heard good things about Jimmy Egypts, but also not so good, and someone in there didn’t know the difference between a Jag and a Jazzmaster when I asked to try something a wee while ago. There’s a wee place called The Wee Guitar Company on Cathcart Rd, I got speaking to him a couple of months ago and he seemed to really know his shit so was probably just going to go there with it. One more actually, my pal sent me his Instagram the other day saying he’s supposed to be great, Finnish luthier working out west, Koivistoguitars.

JonnyB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JonnyB » Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:59 am

Thanks for replying. Yeah I’ve used jimmy Egypt before for a couple guitars and his son set one up superb but it wasn’t a jag/jazz. I had a jag years ago set up by them and looking back probably needed shimmed but I didn’t know about that back then and it wasn’t mentioned so I’m not sure.
The guitar trade centre guy seems really clued up on electronics.
Actually contemplating doing it myself

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:57 am

No worries man, what are you looking to have done/do yourself?

JonnyB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JonnyB » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:44 am

I think my bridge is too low so the neck needs a shim and then the bridge raised.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:12 am

Aye as you said then man, just add a shim to the neck pocket and then raise your bridge to where you need it to be. If you suspect the bridge is sinking, applying clear nail polish/blue loctite to the bridge post threads after you have it set will hold it in place - you should be able to sort that yourself no problems.

Stewmac sell full shims if you don’t want to make your own, but there’s some cheaper options on Amazon too I’m sure - there’s a thread on here about them somewhere man. There’s some great resources on YouTube (Puisheen being a good one) for set up stuff, the one he sets up a 64 JM, he talks about shimming if I remember correctly. Also, I bought (£8) the Haze Guitars Sketchy Set up guide for offsets, found it really helpful.

JonnyB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JonnyB » Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:06 am

Brilliant mate cheers for all the information.
I think I will do it myself. It’s pretty interesting when you start to try and understand the bridge system.
Have you shimmed any of your guitars before?

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:48 pm

No problem at all man. Aye, I shimmed an old Strat I have and an MIJ Jag I used to have - just used a business card I’m sure. It really depends on how low the bridge is, how much shim you’ll need. My current JM came with a 1 degree angled neck pocket so no need for a shim, but it’s really simple to do man.

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:12 pm

I think it’s worth mentioning that I’ve read an issue with inexpensive full-pocket shims is that the specs aren’t always right - a shim sold as 0.5° isn’t necessarily really 0.5° - but at the same time, maybe an accurate angle isn’t crucial. Sometimes you just need to tilt that shit and sort it out with the bridge height.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 am

where abouts in glasgow are you? if it's west end, jimmy egypt is yer man. most times, a glasgow subway ticket cut to size is enough. that's what i use on mine. honestly, if i didn't have a lot going on lately, i'd offer to do it. there's a good few tricks you can do to get more out of em.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

JonnyB
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JonnyB » Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:55 am

Cheers mate. I’m going to give it a bash myself. Actually think it be good to learn how to do it and will help with setting it up myself

Winkybiker
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Winkybiker » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:44 pm

Go for it. I just got my first Jag, and just experimented with shims, bridge height and action. It played well when I got it but the bridge was quite high, and action low. I adjusted the shims to get a more moderate bridge height while still maintaining a low action. It was logical, easy, and the guitar plays great.

stobbs_guitar
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by stobbs_guitar » Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:24 am

Hey Mondaysoutar, it's Stephen from The Guitar Trade Centre - if you want to come in and speak to me about fretwork I'm more than happy to if you've been happy with adjustments I've made to your Jazzmaster in the past.

I have to ask, do you know people that have been to The Wee Guitar Company for fretwork? Just cause you mentioned you didn't know anyone that's been to me and I'm curious what gives David the edge in the case you don't know anyone that's been to him either.

You can check out my own socials for my body of work if you still have my business card - but a bit of background on myself I studied guitar making at Anniesland between 2012-2014 under Paul Hyland, Bill Kelday and Russell Aitken and really take pride in good fretwork so I'm happy to discuss anything Guitar & tech related.

Cheers!

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:14 am

Just wanted to say I have first-hand experience of Jimmy Egypt's refretting work and I strongly recommend avoiding him. Admittedly, the two guitars I've known him to ruin (and a third, a vintage Gibson I heard about anecdotally) were all acoustics, and he has a decent rep for electrics, but I wouldn't touch him with a barge-pole after him transforming the best-playing acoustic I'd played at that point into a shadow of its former self (using bass guitar fret-wire, according to Jimmy Moon).

My friend has used The Guitar Workshop in Finnieston* for his (very high-end) guitars and has been more than happy with the work he's had done there.

* Edit: it's moved to Govan now.

Mondaysoutar
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mondaysoutar » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:15 pm

stobbs_guitar wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:24 am
Hey Mondaysoutar, it's Stephen from The Guitar Trade Centre - if you want to come in and speak to me about fretwork I'm more than happy to if you've been happy with adjustments I've made to your Jazzmaster in the past.

I have to ask, do you know people that have been to The Wee Guitar Company for fretwork? Just cause you mentioned you didn't know anyone that's been to me and I'm curious what gives David the edge in the case you don't know anyone that's been to him either.

You can check out my own socials for my body of work if you still have my business card - but a bit of background on myself I studied guitar making at Anniesland between 2012-2014 under Paul Hyland, Bill Kelday and Russell Aitken and really take pride in good fretwork so I'm happy to discuss anything Guitar & tech related.

Cheers!
Ah how you doing man, small world haha. Not really based on anything other than speaking to the boy in the Wee Guitar Company and he was working on a ‘72(if I’m remembering) Mustang by chance when I was down. As I said, you done a great job when I was down, guess I always find it reassuring to hear of good results from a place is all. But, I have your number I’m sure so when I’m going to have it looked it, as long as it’s not too expensive, I’ll shout you a message and see if you have the availablilty. I’m a one electric type, and I’m working constantly so can’t really be without for too long you see. last time I was down seeing you I’d said about a general set up too, so the fretwork and a once over I’d be after.