Help me figure out the pickup wires. 67 mustang bass

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Badabababa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Help me figure out the pickup wires. 67 mustang bass

Post by Badabababa » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:51 pm

Trying to determine the pickup position and wires. How can I tell the correct pickup orientation(polarity), and does the wire order matter(ground vs hot)?

free image hosting

Sweetfinger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help me figure out the pickup wires. 67 mustang bass

Post by Sweetfinger » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:37 pm

Just like you got in the first pic. I suspect when you go to install, pick the slightly longer lead for your ground.

madlovepickups
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by madlovepickups » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:52 pm

Shouldn’t matter at all as coils will be close is spec. Swapping ground and hot will simply reverse the phase.

Badabababa
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Badabababa » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:14 am

Sweetfinger wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:37 pm
Just like you got in the first pic. I suspect when you go to install, pick the slightly longer lead for your ground.
Thank you. I installed it as you suggested, then found this. You were right!

if you can see where the actual coil wire leaves the coil and goes to the connection to the leads, we might have a clue here;
normal single coils have the winding start at the ground end (so it's against the magnets, to keep them from being noisy when touched) and stop at the hot end (so it's on the outside).
if you can tell by the fine coil wire which end is wrapped on the outside and which end sort of disappears underneath to go to the inside, that'll tell you which is which; the outside wraps go to the hot lead.
for that matter, just hook the wires up with alligator clips to an amp input cable; one way the magnets will be a lot noisier when you touch them, and that will be the "wrong" way.