Can you sacrifice the Rhythm Circuit to be a coil tap?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Can you sacrifice the Rhythm Circuit to be a coil tap?

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:53 am

Futuron wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:35 am
Yep, got a silverburst one last year.

Oh wow - someone who has two different Meteora versions! How do they compare in terms of sound and feel? Which do you prefer and why?

Futuron wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:35 am
Regarding my single-coil sound, I use a BD-2 always-on at around 10-11 o'clock (depending) for sustain and a bit of non-nude sound. But as I hinted I have found that these fireballs are nice, smooth and substantial while fully clean.

Aye, I agree that pedals can do a lot in terms of driving the sound for a bit of hair. For whatever reason the Affordaboard adds soft clipping which is harmonically pleasing, I believe it might be the Behringer Space-C (Dimension C clone) actually. It was complained about in some reviews but I actually like it - if I want to get rid of it notching the guitar volume down does fine, or swapping to the neck and enabling the thin switch if it's the Jag.
"High yella high red high blue she blew
High Ella high Ella Guru"

- CAPTAIN BEEFHEART, "Ella Guru"

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:38 pm

The Alternate Reality version doesn't have rolled edges, which I've learned makes a huge comfort difference for me, more than radius and neck profile. And it doesn't sound as good as the new one.

But I got it first, it's fine and looks great, and being hardtail means it's different (not just 'less good'), so it's not going anywhere.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:43 am

Nice! Great guitars either way by the sounds of it. Rolled edges wins though. 8)

My Cosmic Jade one is now in with one of Hampshire's best luthiers (comes highly recommended by a few musicians I know and respect) to have some fret crowning work done, electronics repair/replace (basically can't select the neck pickup so the selector might have gone bad) and moving the jack socket to the top where it should have been all along... the route is big enough to do that with perhaps a couple of washers to raise it up slightly.

My reasoning is, it has a 12" radius so there's no good reason why the action should be so much higher than my Jag on 7.25" is. It makes it too easy to mute strings when you're doing certain chords where the open strings are between the fretted finger ones.

---

Amazing deal on a Player Plus CJ Meteora for £550 here, mine was new in 2022 and was reduced due to some finish cracks from shipping but I still paid a fair bit more.

crazyzeke
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by crazyzeke » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:09 am

Anyway, back on topic... can someone recommend the best push/push type 500K volume pot I could use to do the coil split on the Jag there? Thanks in advance.