Sire pickup wiring colors?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Tyrannocaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Sire pickup wiring colors?

Post by Tyrannocaster » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:55 pm

Anybody know what the Sire humbucker color codes are? I'm thinking of putting a Duncan JB in a Carlton L7 and I can't find any info online. Duncan's colors are used by several other makers, but not all by any means. There's always trial and error, but honestly, I hate soldering.
My tunes can always be found at https://hearthis.at/tyrannocaster/

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Sire pickup wiring colors?

Post by adamrobertt » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:46 pm

Why would the wire colors on the old pickups matter? You only need to know the new ones...

Tyrannocaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tyrannocaster » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:06 pm

Because I only want to replace one, at least initially. They have to play nice together.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:32 pm

Sire's colour code doesn't seem to appear in any of the published colour code repositories. But it should be obvious in your Carlton L7. Just take the control cover off and look at which wire goes to the volume pot tab for the pickup you want to change - that's your hot. It's presumably single-conductor shielded wiring, so the shield will be soldered to that volume pot's back. It doesn't look like there's anything complicated about the L7's switching/wiring from what I can tell.
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

Tyrannocaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tyrannocaster » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:53 am

timtam wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:32 pm
Sire's colour code doesn't seem to appear in any of the published colour code repositories. But it should be obvious in your Carlton L7. Just take the control cover off and look at which wire goes to the volume pot tab for the pickup you want to change - that's your hot. It's presumably single-conductor shielded wiring, so the shield will be soldered to that volume pot's back. It doesn't look like there's anything complicated about the L7's switching/wiring from what I can tell.
That's what I'm hoping, too. The guitar won't arrive for a few days so I'm just trying to get ahead of the curve. It's even possible that I'll leave the pups as they are, but I like the Duncan JB and it's available here so I think that's a probable swap for the bridge. I also like the Dimarzio EJ I have on hand for the neck but I'm not as sure about that one for this transplant. It all depends on my reaction to the Sire.

Thanks.