Help! Sound Cutting Out..

For help with setups and other technical issues.
the rollerdoor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Help! Sound Cutting Out..

Post by the rollerdoor » Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:24 am

Help! I changed pickups in my JM about 6 months back. All was fine until recently.
I noticed after one flight, the sound cut out if i tapped the bridge pickup or volume pot.
It's now cutting out all the time.. :'(
Contact cleaner on the pot seems to rectify the problem in the short term, but I gotta get to the bottom of it..
Any help would be greatly appreciated  :)
Thanks in advance!!
Last edited by the rollerdoor on Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the rollerdoor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Help! Sound Cutting Out..

Post by the rollerdoor » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Er.. :'( Anyone?

Soochdaddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soochdaddy » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:05 am

the rollerdoor wrote: I noticed after one flight, the sound cut out if i tapped the bridge pickup or volume pot.
It's now cutting out all the time.. :'(
Contact cleaner on the pot seems to rectify the problem in the short term, but I gotta get to the bottom of it..
This might be a long shot, but here is an idea since you mentioned it took a flight...

A day or so after I got my JM, my toddler knocked the case over (guitar was in the case).  I checked it out... no damage... but plugged it in and no output.

Long story short, the hot side of the input jack had moved enough to make contact with the brass tub and shorted the output to ground.  I would take off the pickguard and plug in the input jack to your amp...  tap on the pole pieces.  If it's alive, then try to adjust the position of the input jack so that when you put the pickguard back on, it does not inadvertently allow the hot side to short your signal when assembled.

Other than that, if it's intermittent as you describe, it's very likely a mechanical issue caused by vibration that is somehow causing your output to short to ground.  The three-way swtich is another place where the leads can make contact with the case of the guitar.

Good luck.
"I want to be able to purchase gin in bulk at Costco on a Sunday. So I totally voted." - chrisrnps

"Always socks on cocks-as to protect my low hanging guitar from getting 'cock rash' when playing in the nude, of course." - basique

the rollerdoor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the rollerdoor » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks! Yeah. It's had a few knocks within it's case now (similar to your situation). I'll look at all you've mentioned.
I remember going to o/size baggage once and loading onto the conveyor belt only to watch the guitar cases drop off
the end to fall onto the ground... >:( :-X :k
Aluminium flight cases are the only way to go.
Or private charter, A la Iron Maiden  ;D

Soochdaddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Soochdaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:00 am

Kids... God bless 'em...  ;D
"I want to be able to purchase gin in bulk at Costco on a Sunday. So I totally voted." - chrisrnps

"Always socks on cocks-as to protect my low hanging guitar from getting 'cock rash' when playing in the nude, of course." - basique