Jazzmaster pickup comparison

For help with setups and other technical issues.
alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster pickup comparison

Post by alexpigment » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:13 pm

ldp54002 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:18 am
Anyone have any experience with both the reissue Fender CuNiFe WRHBs from 2020 and the CuNiFe Jazzmaster pickups released a few weeks ago? Back-to-back comparisons are a bit hard to come by.
I don't have experience with both, but the specs appear to be roughly the same. The only obvious difference is that the tele version has a metal cover, so it will likely sound a bit less bright. I would think they would probably sound fairly identical if you turned down the tone knob a small amount or changed pots to a lower value (e.g. 500k instead of 1meg, 330k instead of 500k, etc).

ldp54002
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ldp54002 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:57 pm

alexpigment wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:13 pm
ldp54002 wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:18 am
Anyone have any experience with both the reissue Fender CuNiFe WRHBs from 2020 and the CuNiFe Jazzmaster pickups released a few weeks ago? Back-to-back comparisons are a bit hard to come by.
I don't have experience with both, but the specs appear to be roughly the same. The only obvious difference is that the tele version has a metal cover, so it will likely sound a bit less bright. I would think they would probably sound fairly identical if you turned down the tone knob a small amount or changed pots to a lower value (e.g. 500k instead of 1meg, 330k instead of 500k, etc).
Thanks for your input! I think I'm going to take the plunge and put a set in my JM. If they're close enough, the Tele goes up for sale.

NJBuck
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NJBuck » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:35 am

I have a Creston Offset guitar with Novak JM-V neck pickup. I want to love this but I just don't. Want it to sound as good as the neck pickups on my telecasters (Asher Sweet T on one, Shaw V-Mod on another), but just can't get there. I m playing fingerstyle, almost clean, but for some warmth from an Analogman Prince of Tone to keep it interesting. The JM-V is just kind of scratchy or something. Not warm, not round and full like the tele neck pickups I love. Is there a pickup that is lower output, warmer, that I should try before I give up on this guitar?
Thanks.

NJBuck
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NJBuck » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:50 am

And who makes the lowest output JM neck pickups? Thanks.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:16 pm

NJBuck wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:35 am
I have a Creston Offset guitar with Novak JM-V neck pickup. I want to love this but I just don't. Want it to sound as good as the neck pickups on my telecasters (Asher Sweet T on one, Shaw V-Mod on another), but just can't get there. I m playing fingerstyle, almost clean, but for some warmth from an Analogman Prince of Tone to keep it interesting. The JM-V is just kind of scratchy or something. Not warm, not round and full like the tele neck pickups I love. Is there a pickup that is lower output, warmer, that I should try before I give up on this guitar?
Thanks.
You might look at the Lollar Black Bobbin pickups. SD Antiquity 1's might be an option as well. They're both voiced a little darker/fuller than the JM-V. I'm assuming lowering the JM-V hasn't helped.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:42 pm

NJBuck wrote:
Thanks.
So, you're definitely comparing darker-sounding Tele neck pickups to something on brighter-sounding end of the Jazzmaster spectrum. To me it sounds like you want something inspired by the '58 and '59 spec Jazzmaster pickups that were a bit darker sounding.

The JM-V is what I would go for if I wanted a brighter, clearer Jazzmaster neck sound.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:58 pm

NJBuck wrote:
Thanks.
Sunday Handwound woodies were my answer.

I had similar thoughts/experiences with my Novak JM-Vs (since on sold).
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.