-= Bridge FAQ =-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
SadFuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -= Bridge FAQ =-

Post by SadFuzz » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:02 am

ShatoonBringerOfCorn wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:58 am
Anyone got any tips on stopping the height adjustment screws on my bridge sinking? It's a CV jag with the mustang style bridge. The high e side of the bridge just keeps sinking down and ends up putting the guitar out of tune and the top strings too close to the fretboard. I thought about locktite, but I don't know how long it takes to "cure" and worry it will set before I get the bridge in and strings on, so by the time I set the height, it'll have cured and I'll end up having to "break" the lock in order to set the height
This happened with my Squier vintage mod JM. Loctite worked, i just let it dry for a day.
Eventually i wanted to adjust it so i scrubbed it all out and used pva glue. I later found out that i could still adjust the height but with the crud i'd managed to build up on the screws it stayed where i put it. No sinking issues since.
Its a crude method but it worked for me.

If you're worried about not being happy with where its glued you could always adjust it with the strings on till you're happy then loosen them to pull the bridge out and lock it.
thebandnorjack.bandcamp.com

ShatoonBringerOfCorn
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ShatoonBringerOfCorn » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:53 am

That's what I was thinking of doing! Since it worked for you, I'll give it a try!

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:44 pm

ShatoonBringerOfCorn wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:58 am
Anyone got any tips on stopping the height adjustment screws on my bridge sinking? It's a CV jag with the mustang style bridge. The high e side of the bridge just keeps sinking down and ends up putting the guitar out of tune and the top strings too close to the fretboard. I thought about locktite, but I don't know how long it takes to "cure" and worry it will set before I get the bridge in and strings on, so by the time I set the height, it'll have cured and I'll end up having to "break" the lock in order to set the height
'Full' curing takes 24 hours, so there's no issue. And you've got a good 10 minute window before you start feeling major resistance adjusting the fasteners.
  • Set the desired bridge height.

Slacken strings and remove bridge.

Wind height adjustment screws 'in' (clockwise) two full turns.

Apply low or mid-strength (purple or blue) sparingly to the threads that are now exposed at the posts.

Wind the adjustment screws back 'out' (counter-clockwise) two full turns and pop the bridge back on.

Tune back up to pitch, and make final adjustments to suit.

The low and mid-strength products are designed for future disassembly/adjustment with basic hand tools in mind.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:28 pm

If your bridge is on the high side, the length of bridge height grub screw not in contact with the post's internal thread is obviously increased. So for metric bridges like the CV's it may be worth getting longer M3 conical tip grub screws (#4-40 for imperial bridges), commonly made up to 16mm (measure the length of what you have, often 12mm, to see what real benefit you'll get from the extra length), then add the blue loctite ..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-M4-304-Stai ... 2614783479
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grub-Screws-Co ... 3433647640

I've also experimented a little with homemade anti-sink plastic bushings like on the Staytrem/Marr/TVL bridges, but I haven't come up with anything I'd recommend. Maybe others have had more success.