-=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
diego_nu
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: -=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

Post by diego_nu » Thu May 31, 2012 6:50 pm

Hii
I need your help-
Ive bought a used Fender Classic player Jaguar HH on ebay. The seller has replaced the two pickups for one SD SH2 and SH4. I cant contact the seller because he is USA and Im in Argentina.
When i put the switch in rhythm i have no sound. But in the other position it works fine (three switches). I know that in this particular model, the upper pots are one for bridge pickup volume and the other is for the neck pickup volumen, right?
IS there any way to check the pickups or the switch or the pots??
Thank you very much and sorry if my english is not good enough

gibs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gibs » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:43 pm

diego_nu wrote:Hii
I need your help-
Ive bought a used Fender Classic player Jaguar HH on ebay. The seller has replaced the two pickups for one SD SH2 and SH4. I cant contact the seller because he is USA and Im in Argentina.
When i put the switch in rhythm i have no sound. But in the other position it works fine (three switches). I know that in this particular model, the upper pots are one for bridge pickup volume and the other is for the neck pickup volumen, right?
IS there any way to check the pickups or the switch or the pots??
Thank you very much and sorry if my english is not good enough
If its a classic player Jag HH then the wiring is correct, the rhythm circuit was eliminated on the HH replacing the on/off switch with a killswitch and rewiring the two roller pots into spin-a-splits for each individual pickup

bradleyb1982
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bradleyb1982 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Hey, just read the whole thread but didn't see the information I am looking for.

I was hoping someone could tell me what the output (DC resistance) of American Fender Jaguar pickups is?

Thanks ahead of time!

mascis
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mascis » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:03 pm

bradleyb1982 wrote:Hey, just read the whole thread but didn't see the information I am looking for.

I was hoping someone could tell me what the output (DC resistance) of American Fender Jaguar pickups is?

Thanks ahead of time!
Hi, Fender say that they're wound to original spec. So pretty sure the neck should be 6.5 k and bridge: 6.8 k.

mascis
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mascis » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:13 pm

I have a question. I have a Squier VM Jaguar, it comes with Seymour Duncan pickups. But which type of Seymour Duncan are they? There's no label anywhere on them...

SJAG-1? SJAG-2? SJAG-3? Or are they just some cheapo design made just for the cheap Squiers?

I'm thinking about changing them for Fender USA Reissue but not sure if it's worth it

Can anyone shed light on this please? It's really bugging me!

Firecat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firecat » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:07 pm

mascis wrote:I have a question. I have a Squier VM Jaguar, it comes with Seymour Duncan pickups. But which type of Seymour Duncan are they? There's no label anywhere on them...

SJAG-1? SJAG-2? SJAG-3? Or are they just some cheapo design made just for the cheap Squiers?

I'm thinking about changing them for Fender USA Reissue but not sure if it's worth it

Can anyone shed light on this please? It's really bugging me!
Do you mean the stock pickups? They aren't really seymour duncan, but "duncan designed", you can check the specs here: http://www.fender.com/en-BE/products/vi ... ed-jaguar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Caddy65
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Caddy65 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:56 am

I find it interesting that the specs for the VM Jazzmaster say Duncan Designed with alnico V magnets and the Jaguar specs don't mention alnico magnets. Are they ceramics or alnico?

I do know that I like the stock pickups in my VM Jazzmaster.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:19 pm

I haven't tried the JM or Jag pickups yet but I have a set of strat pickups from http://www.rumpelstiltskinpickups.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and have been very impressed. I'm getting ready to order a set of their Mustang pickups for my 65 Duo Sonic restore.
She/Her

stig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stig » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

I have a Squier Mascis JM that I got back in August, and the toggle switch is kind of wonky. The bridge pickup is working intermittently. You have to jiggle the switch. How hard is this thing to replace, and what's a good replacement for it? Like will a Switchcraft or Fender unit fit? I'd hate to have to drill the aluminum pickguard.
Thanks!
'
My crappy music: www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer

bigandtall
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bigandtall » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:00 pm

stig wrote:I have a Squier Mascis JM that I got back in August, and the toggle switch is kind of wonky. The bridge pickup is working intermittently. You have to jiggle the switch. How hard is this thing to replace, and what's a good replacement for it? Like will a Switchcraft or Fender unit fit? I'd hate to have to drill the aluminum pickguard.
Thanks!
'
I doubt that it's a faulty switch (though it could be). Sounds like there's a loose wire in there. I'd open things up and look at every soldered connection to see if it's holding. If you don't see anything obvious, heat up your soldering iron and go through and reflow (touch each solder till it gets hot again) each connection. This should take care of your problem.

stig
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stig » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 pm

bigandtall wrote:
stig wrote:I have a Squier Mascis JM that I got back in August, and the toggle switch is kind of wonky. The bridge pickup is working intermittently. You have to jiggle the switch. How hard is this thing to replace, and what's a good replacement for it? Like will a Switchcraft or Fender unit fit? I'd hate to have to drill the aluminum pickguard.
Thanks!
'
I doubt that it's a faulty switch (though it could be). Sounds like there's a loose wire in there. I'd open things up and look at every soldered connection to see if it's holding. If you don't see anything obvious, heat up your soldering iron and go through and reflow (touch each solder till it gets hot again) each connection. This should take care of your problem.
Thanks. I'll try that!
My crappy music: www.soundcloud.com/aspirinhammer

thesage
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by thesage » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:59 am

Hi,

I've a 2003 CIJ Jag and I want to upgrade the pups. I'm not really sure whether to go for S-Jag1s, S-Jag2s or an S-Jag1 neck and S-Jag2 bridge. I can't find a demo on youtube with S-Jag2s (just S-Jag3 QP, which sound surprisingly good) and the SJag1 bridge pick-up, from what I've heard, is a tad too twangy for my liking now, having lived with the super twangy stock bridge pup for ten years. I'll mainly be using it for blues and classic rock, with a bit of alt and heavy rock from time to time... largely on a clean channel, but sometimes with some light distortion or overdrive. Currently, I find the stock pups get muddy with distortion or overdrive.

The Seymour Duncan sound clips (here: http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/pickups/43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are helpful, but they don't give nearly as much info as a short youtube demo would. Based on these alone the S-Jag1 neck pup sounds brighter and clearer than the S-Jag2, without being too harsh or twangy. The S-Jag2 bridge pick-up sounds better to me though. Anyone here have S-Jag2s installed who'd be willing to take a video or sound sample playing some clean bluesy stuff and classic rock with mild distortion or overdrive? Would I be messing up the guitar if I install an S-Jag1 neck and S-Jag2 bridge, given the former has a moderate output and the latter a high one? Will they still hum cancel? Will they work well together when both are engaged at the same time?

Option A: S-Jag1
Option B: S-Jag2
Option 3: S-Jag1 neck and S-Jag2 bridge

Help! Thank you!

hydra19
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hydra19 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:26 pm

it'd be interested in hearing what that sounds like too, I'm actually thinking of getting Antiquity I for the bridge and Antiquity II for the neck

Momofuku
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Momofuku » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:26 am

Thanks for all this info....

redeyeflight
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by redeyeflight » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:52 am

I'm hoping to change the pots in my parts jaguar. The volume does very little. Other than completely eviserate the level when turned down the slightest. I looked at the control cavity and the pots are very small, like what one might find in a stomp box, which leads me to believe they're not 1meg as they shoud be (its impossible to tell what theyre actual value is as there is solder over where the value readings would be).I have some fender branded 500k pots would it be worth tryin those out first or is it absolutely nessicary to get the 1 meg pots?