Installing Wilkinson Roller Bridge in a VI

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Installing Wilkinson Roller Bridge in a VI

Post by Gavanti » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:27 am

I bought a Wilkinson roller bridge to go with my Teisco VI project, and I am trying to figure out where to place the bushings so that I'll get decent intonation. I found info on angling a TOM bridge for proper intonation on typical Gibson guitars, but not for longer scales. Does anybody have experience or suggestions on this? Many thanks.

ohm-men
Expat
Expat

Re: Installing Wilkinson Roller Bridge in a VI

Post by ohm-men » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:00 am

It might work, but just imho.
If you are using th eTeisco VI as a Bass VI (E-e) then you might not get it intonated, or just barely.
If you are using it as a baritone (A-a or B-b) then I guess it's doable. (Ofcourse I asume the Teisco is a 30" scale guitar)

But sincde the Wilkinson has far more travel then a regular Tom, it could be doable.
But, do notice that the Wilkinson has a very flat profile about a 12" radius. So your middle strings might buzz a bit.
Though you could tackle this by adding some shims under the saddles and lock 'em. (The screws are long enough for this)

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Hey Ohm-Men. Thanks again for the help (you gave me some useful suggestions when I started out this project). The Teisco neck is super flat, so I may actually be OK on that front with the Wilkinson. I'll shim it as per your suggestion if not. My main concern is about getting the placement angle for the bridge for the 30" scale right before I start drilling holes. I am planning to run it E-e, which is why I was wondering if angling the bridge slightly more than a typical TOM would get the necessary amount of saddle travel for intonation. Or do you think the Wilkinson already has enough travel that it would be better to angle it per the usual TOM setup?

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Gavanti wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:57 pm
Hey Ohm-Men. Thanks again for the help (you gave me some useful suggestions when I started out this project). The Teisco neck is super flat, so I may actually be OK on that front with the Wilkinson. I'll shim it as per your suggestion if not. My main concern is about getting the placement angle for the bridge for the 30" scale right before I start drilling holes. I am planning to run it E-e, which is why I was wondering if angling the bridge slightly more than a typical TOM would get the necessary amount of saddle travel for intonation. Or do you think the Wilkinson already has enough travel that it would be better to angle it per the usual TOM setup?
Hey Gavanti, how did it turn out? I'm about to build a VI with a 12" radius Pit Bull neck, so I'm considering the Wilkinson Bridge. My concern is that it wouldn't handle the thick strings so they jump of the saddles.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:00 pm

It's been awhile, but my memory is that I created a separate fixed anchor point for the low E using an L bracket. Everything else seemed to worked fine in the Teisco-style trem. A Jazzmaster trem would have a steeper break angle than the one I used, so it might work better for keeping the strings in the saddles.

Gavanti
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gavanti » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:01 pm

Zork wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:14 pm

Hey Gavanti, how did it turn out? I'm about to build a VI with a 12" radius Pit Bull neck, so I'm considering the Wilkinson Bridge. My concern is that it wouldn't handle the thick strings so they jump of the saddles.
It's been awhile, but my memory is that I created a separate fixed anchor point for the low E using an L bracket. Everything else seemed to worked fine in the Teisco-style trem. A Jazzmaster trem would have a steeper break angle than the one I used, so it might work better for keeping the strings in the saddles.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:21 am

Ok, thanks. I guess I'll just have to give it a try. Apart from a TOM, there aren't many bridges around for 12" radius necks, or did I miss something?

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:46 am

Zork wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:21 am
Ok, thanks. I guess I'll just have to give it a try. Apart from a TOM, there aren't many bridges around for 12" radius necks, or did I miss something?
Only something with adjustable saddles, either an OG JM/Jag style with the screw-looking saddles, the Warmoth adjustable mustang bridge, or a set of the Graphtech JM/Jag/Mustang saddles.