Pickups and Trem Setup

For help with setups and other technical issues.
MrShake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Pickups and Trem Setup

Post by MrShake » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:41 am

OK, I know the rules about looking elsewhere before asking a question here, btu I've looked, I've searched, and I have a few questions about my beloved Mustang....

#1) Does proper convention dictate that the trem bar on a Mustang be parallel to the strings?  If so, I'm working on setting mine up properly and get a little fret buzz on my low E near the nut, but am having a little trouble getting it set so that I have no string buzz, and the trem is parallel with the body... any suggestions?

#2) Now, I know that the pickup selector switches on yer average Mustang work as follows:  both switches in same position = pickups in phase, when they're not in matching settings, the pickups run out of phase.  What I'm still unclear on is the difference between having them both centered, or at opposite settings ( --0  0--  vs.  0--  --0 ).  All I can gather is that this has to do with the direction of the current, and I notice a slightly different sound, but was wondering if any of you fine folks could enlighten me on if there's any major differences in how people percieve these tones.

Hope I'm not clogging up the arteries here, and I appreciate all the wonderful info you've all sent my way so far...
"Any two bit pedal can bring on distortion. Leave what little clean headroom there is alone."

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Pickups and Trem Setup

Post by Jay » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:10 pm

I'm not a mustang guy so I can't really help with this one but I'd guess taht this post probably fits more into the tech/setup thread so I'm going to throw it over there for you.