Warmoth neck + allparts body

For help with setups and other technical issues.
mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: Warmoth neck + allparts body

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:11 pm

Guitarded wrote: So you don't think actually talking to a live person from the company your about to spend several hundred dollars with on a very specific item  is a good idea?  If that's "pro" construction, on the one I got, I'd hate to see what their regular necks are like. 
That "live person" is sitting in a room with other people talking on the phone and human error can enter into the equation. So  no, I don't think that's the best way to proceed. It seems better to me to put the details in writing and fax it off or email it so there's a written record. If it's in writing it is much easier to deal with errors that might happen down the road (as obviously do happen on occasion). That's just how I feel about it - that's not some kind of Warmoth-specific rant. Another advantage of doing it in writing is that you can refer to the specs on the website while you're ordering - it took me 15 seconds to find out about the different neck options (pro, vintage, warmoth modern vintage, etc) and the side-adjusting bit is clearly mentioned on the details page.

I'm not trying to defend Warmoth if they screwed up on your neck, mind you. But mistakes do happen everywhere, particularly on items where a large number of options and choices exist. Maybe I'm just a cold-hearted cynic but I usually assume in these situations that anything which can be screwed up by humans will be and work backwards from there.  ;)
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:45 pm

Are you sure you're an economist? You sound more like an engineer.

;)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Guitarded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Guitarded » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 pm

mjet260 wrote:
Guitarded wrote: So you don't think actually talking to a live person from the company your about to spend several hundred dollars with on a very specific item  is a good idea?  If that's "pro" construction, on the one I got, I'd hate to see what their regular necks are like. 
That "live person" is sitting in a room with other people talking on the phone and human error can enter into the equation. So  no, I don't think that's the best way to proceed. It seems better to me to put the details in writing and fax it off or email it so there's a written record. If it's in writing it is much easier to deal with errors that might happen down the road (as obviously do happen on occasion). That's just how I feel about it - that's not some kind of Warmoth-specific rant. Another advantage of doing it in writing is that you can refer to the specs on the website while you're ordering - it took me 15 seconds to find out about the different neck options (pro, vintage, warmoth modern vintage, etc) and the side-adjusting bit is clearly mentioned on the details page.

I'm not trying to defend Warmoth if they screwed up on your neck, mind you. But mistakes do happen everywhere, particularly on items where a large number of options and choices exist. Maybe I'm just a cold-hearted cynic but I usually assume in these situations that anything which can be screwed up by humans will be and work backwards from there.  ;)
Yeah, but that written record ultimately falls into the hands of the mistake prone human anyway....    For the record, the invoice they sent with the neck listed everything correctly...so the info was taken correctly, it got screwed up in production and showed poor workmanship.  I got a really dodgy neck from them, they acted like jerks about it, guitar techs scoffed at it , and so it left a real bad impression of Warmoth necks in my book. 
Last edited by Guitarded on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:01 am

mezcalhead wrote: Are you sure you're an economist? You sound more like an engineer.

;)
I'm just a jerk who works around economists.  :P
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

alpha_serpent
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alpha_serpent » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:54 pm

so in everyone's opinion, my AVRI jazzmaster was supposedly stored in the wrong factory climates..... :'(
as a result, the wood on the neck is warped and keeps moving, therefore over-bowing the truss rod meaning monthly set up fees. is it worth it to just fork out another 200-300 dollars and try a warmoth neck???? it's depressing........a brand new american built fender guitar....i expected it to arrive in perfect working order but i guess that's what you get when you order it online....  oh and before you ask, i already checked fender's neck warranty and it pretty much voids every possible scenario......what a waste. i haven't called them yet though.
Last edited by alpha_serpent on Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:18 pm

Well, that shouldn't be what you get .. how long have you had it? If you haven't had it that long, you may be able to reject it, even up to reversing the charge on your credit card if necessary. Replacing the neck with an aftermarket neck will lose you a lot of resale value.

I would definitely speak to whoever you bought it from about returning it, if they're not prepared to replace the neck with another AVRI neck. Did it have a warranty at all?

alpha_serpent
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alpha_serpent » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:44 pm

mezcalhead wrote: Well, that shouldn't be what you get .. how long have you had it? If you haven't had it that long, you may be able to reject it, even up to reversing the charge on your credit card if necessary. Replacing the neck with an aftermarket neck will lose you a lot of resale value.

I would definitely speak to whoever you bought it from about returning it, if they're not prepared to replace the neck with another AVRI neck. Did it have a warranty at all?

i bought it from musiciansfriend.com againest my own discretion, but only because it was something as large and pricey as a guitar, not because i've had bad experiences with them in the past. they only have a 45 day return policy, and by the time i learned what was wrong, that period was already over. i've had the guitar since about may or june and other than the nek, the guitar is fine, but we all know that without a proper neck, the guitar is more or less un-playable. at this point, i assume a brand new replacement neck is the only option i have??????

as far as warranties go, i guess all new fenders, or at least american ones, come with the 1 year limited neck warranty.....but if any of you have this, you know exactly how LIMITED it actually is.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:23 pm

It would be worth ringing Fender and discussing the neck warranty with them. How many setups would they reasonably expect on a new guitar in its first 6 months?

Some credit cards provide insurance for items worth over a certain amount .. that might be an option.

If you have a luthier prepared to provide a statement to the effect that the neck was warped at the factory, you might have a chance either with Fender or in small claims court, particularly if you have records of recurrent setups that the guitar has needed ever since you bought it.

Otherwise .. learn to do your own setups? Not much of a solution, I know.

alpha_serpent
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by alpha_serpent » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:31 pm

mezcalhead wrote: It would be worth ringing Fender and discussing the neck warranty with them. How many setups would they reasonably expect on a new guitar in its first 6 months?

Some credit cards provide insurance for items worth over a certain amount .. that might be an option.

If you have a luthier prepared to provide a statement to the effect that the neck was warped at the factory, you might have a chance either with Fender or in small claims court, particularly if you have records of recurrent setups that the guitar has needed ever since you bought it.

Otherwise .. learn to do your own setups? Not much of a solution, I know.

no, you've offered several good solutions, and i appreciate it. i think i'll try fender by phone, or at a certified shop, and if that fails, then warmoth....

Guitarded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Guitarded » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:24 am

I've dealt with Fender a few times by phone and via email. They were very cool to deal with every time. I didn't have any issues as serious as your neck deal, but in any case, they were very friendly and helpful.  I definitely encourage you to call them. 
http://www.fender.com/support/contact.php

cmatthes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cmatthes » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:12 pm

As far as a replacement neck, try Musikraft's custom stuff.  I've had good luck there - one of the best replacement necks I've ever come across.

I am pretty certain they do JM headstocks as well through their custom wing.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:46 am

as far a replacing a neck on the faulty AVRI....there's that guy Stratosphere on ebay that parts out CIJ Jazzmasters often...maybe you would consider buying a spare neck from him? it will be the correct shape, have a nut cut, have a decal etc

just a thought....
Resident Spartan.