3 way mini slider switch? JM size?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

3 way mini slider switch? JM size?

Post by MirageIndigo » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Does anyone have a good source for a 3 way slider switch that fits in the upper JM position? The mounting screws are 1-1/8" apart but I can't find a 3 way. The part wold be on-on-on 3PDT. I have a mini toggle that does exactly what I want, but can't find a 3 way slider that size.

I have the stewmac slider one, but it's too long (it's jag size, not JM size). The shorter one is, alas, two position. I'm trying to do a regular three way pickup selector for a middle lipstick pickup and regular pickups in Our Lady of Perpetual Jazz build.

bodhi
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 3 way mini slider switch? JM size?

Post by bodhi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:42 am

I'm no expert, but at least switchcraft (who make the originals) don't have anything like that. Any three way slide switches I've seen that would be smaller also have significantly smaller plastic part and are mainly made for other electronics stuff. I've taken to using shorter lever toggle switches instead if I want something else than the slide switch.
Jazzmaster project (got a body, placeholder neck, some pickups and ideas)
Tokai Telecaster Thinline with Creamery Pickups Filtertron and Tapped Tele
Blake Mills-inspired Strat project w/ Gold Foil and slide pickup

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 pm

There's no 3-way slider made in the footprint of the Jag/JM 2-way slider.

You can cut a pickguard to take two Mustang 3-way sliders in place of the roller pots, but that's the only way to make them fit.

Mini toggle or creative placement of 3-way sliders are the options in that location, in terms of what's widely available. There are all sorts of weird and funky switches out there, but they wouldn't be the exact footprint of the 2-way, either.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:24 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 pm
They actually exist.
I bought a couple at my local hardware store a few years ago and mounted on this very guitar:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:11 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:24 am
They actually exist.
I bought a couple at my local hardware store a few years ago and mounted on this very guitar:
Really? Who makes them? They're a 3-way on/on/on with screw spacing matching a 2-way?

If so, I stand corrected. Never seen that in all my travels.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:16 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:57 pm
Check the spacing against a CIJ JG66 RI hexagonal plate:

Middle position.

Right position.

Left position.

I have no idea who makes them, all I can tell you is that I went to my local store and asked if they had a 3-way slider switch that fit that specific spacing (I wanted to use them for split-full-split HB purpose) and he came back with a box full of those switches (all-black chassis with no brand) in different sizes. "There. That should do it".

Eventually I left the Jaguar alone and used the switches in the guitar above.

I hope it helps.

Ret Samzzaj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ret Samzzaj » Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:35 am

This 3-way slide switch has the 28mm hole distance, just like the 2-way Jaguar and Jazzmaster switches:

Found here: https://www.tinytronics.nl/shop/nl/comp ... on-ss23f19

Or google SS-23F19 (SS23F19) for your local supplier.

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:31 am

You all are the greatest! Thanks! Now to go figure out who has the US distribution.

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:03 pm

So I've researched this more than a little, here's what I've found so far.

At least on my warmoth p/g the upper horn selector switch screw spacing is what appears to be the stock 1-1/8 inch (aka 28.5mm).

AFAICT, the "stock" mustang pickup selector switch has screw spacing on 1.4" (probably 1-3/8" I'd guess (aka 35.77mm). This is the spacing stew mac has on their switchcraft

There's also a third standard you can find mini slider switches in of 1" screw spacing. You could likely expand the holes in a stock p/g a bit and make it work for the 28.5mm part, but you'd likely be better off just padding out the switch mounting ears a bit and re-drilling. Let's leave that as an option of last resort.

I want an ON-ON-ON type for a secondary pickup selector for a 3 way toggle of my lipstick in the middle. This could be listed as any one of either SP3T, SPTT, DP3T or DPTT depending on how you search and how the manufacturer and distributor decided to abbreviate stuff. (obviously single pole and double pole are different but for my purposes either will work).

There appear to be at least a couple options for a replacement switch (I still haven't found an exact match, at least on mouser). CW makes a 1" mini slider in dp3t and one in 1.4" spacing, but not one in the in between size. The "regular" switches appear to be a drop in for the jaguar / fender / switchcraft part, but cheaper.
https://switches-connectors-custom.cwin ... /item-1547

The part mentioned above (SS-23F19) appears to be the DPDT version (which is also super useful) but I already have a switchcraft in that size and configuration. That same part shows up here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947853832.html but I can't seem to find confirmation that it's actually 3t.

Still looking.....

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:29 pm

Wow. This is a game changer!
Would be perfect for Jazzmaster rhythm switch.

Ret Samzzaj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ret Samzzaj » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 am

MirageIndigo wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:03 pm

The part mentioned above (SS-23F19) appears to be the DPDT version (which is also super useful) but I already have a switchcraft in that size and configuration.
I don't know what you researched, but how can this 3-way switch ever be a dpdt switch :jacked: ?

Please take a look at the schematics above and concentrate on the A B C drawing in the bottom right corner. That is the most important part and shows you how the switch works 8) .

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:46 pm

Ret Samzzaj wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 am
I don't know what you researched, but how can this 3-way switch ever be a dpdt switch :jacked: ?

Please take a look at the schematics above and concentrate on the A B C drawing in the bottom right corner. That is the most important part and shows you how the switch works 8) .
I think they were saying that it wasn't a 3-way (DP3T) when they looked up the part number, just a DPDT with the same size and shape.

Indeed, I can find that exact part number being sold as DPDT as well as DP3T models for some reason.

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:38 pm

+1 to what mbene085 said. That might indeed be a 3 way switch (dp3t), what I'm saying is I can't conclude anything based on that part number alone. It's certainly being sold that way some places but not others. Might also be there's a further suffix on that part that denotes the throw pattern.

I can totally find a known dp3t in 1.4" screw spacing (it's, in fact, the standard Jag switch) OR I can find them in 1" spacing (C&W mini slider series). I still can't find one that's known dp3t and 1-1/8" screw spacing.

Note also that on-off-on are also technically dp3t, but not useful for what we want, which is DP3T on-on-on.

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:01 pm

So digging into that part number more (SS-23F19) , it looks like it is on-off-on most places I can find it. This is being incorrectly sometimes labeled as a dpdt, but the 23 indicates it's a 3 positin switch. That part number shows up a lot, but I think that seems to be the most consistently shown at that it's either dp3t on-off-on (or at least I can't find anyone claiming it on-on-on).

I think they're made by these good people:
https://shouhan.en.made-in-china.com/pr ... Price.html

Bituo appears to be the distributor, but also lists 5 way rotary switches, and other guitar parts, so I wouldn't be surprised in they also carry things that fit jag/jm switch holes. Edit: Bituo makes a different version of the same part.

Still poking, but now I want to go find one of the ss22f19s. For Science!
Last edited by MirageIndigo on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

MirageIndigo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MirageIndigo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:27 pm

BTW if anyone needs a Jag spaced switch that's DP3T, but for some reason doesn't want the switchcraft...

The C&W G-1328S-0019 appears to be the drop in replacement. Mouser doesn't stock them but a bunch of other places do. Note that on-on-on have two different pinouts, sometimes 6 and sometimes 8. Either one works as a three way pickup selector.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CW ... 52BA%3D%3D

So other side note: Digikey stocks a on-on-on switch that is listed as C&K with a part number of SS-23D08 which looks an _awful_ lot like a similar part series as 22-23F19 and is also listed in that same Bituo catalog, so C&KL might have been sourcing them from a couple different companies and reselling them, which would explain why they all have the same part #. I suspect a lot of these suppliers were usign the same part number listing as C&K and just kept on using that numbering even after C&K dropped that particular part #. Also explain why some are stamped with the 250vac rating, some aren't; there's at least two different suppliers with the same part #.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... G8/3862305

Also the part listed at the tinytroinics.nl URL above is actually a on-off-on if you actually read the schematic which is not what I want.

NKK seems not to stock anything close nor does switchcraft. Alas.