What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:05 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:41 am
wired up the jackalope. can't help but feel there's something missing
A neck?
yup. i ordered a neck last month and it's not going to arrive till mid-late november because of brexit.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:06 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:05 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 am
s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:41 am
wired up the jackalope. can't help but feel there's something missing
A neck?
yup. i ordered a neck last month and it's not going to arrive till mid-late november because of brexit.
That's too bad! Great looking guitar so far. Are the pickups the stock ones or something upgraded?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:45 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:06 am

That's too bad! Great looking guitar so far. Are the pickups the stock ones or something upgraded?
set of vanson 59's. my bandmate swears by these pickups and from what i've read, they're basically copies of the seymour duncan 59's which i have in my vista jagmaster.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:05 am

Nice!! I'm looking forward to seeing that one come together!!
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:12 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:05 am
same, it was meant to be a quick project while the big, secret project is in development but it's looking like it wont be finished till like dec.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:45 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:12 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:05 am
same, it was meant to be a quick project while the big, secret project is in development but it's looking like it wont be finished till like dec.
I know what you mean. I ordered my baritone conversion neck from Warmoth and they gave me a lead time of 7 weeks (2/3 weeks ago?). Once I get the body from Deed_Poll, then I still have to get it painted. I'm wanting to play with it SO bad.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 pm

Currently overhauling this 1987 E-Series Squier Strat for one of my tattoo clients. He was given it to him by his dad but the switch and one of the pots is completely bunked.

Will be getting all new full-size pots (could only get Alpha this time, CTS stocks are still spotty over here in the UK), cloth wiring and a proper fender 5-way. Frets have been polished, body cleaned and the bridge de-gunked. Just waiting on parts.

It's been about 20 years since I saw the insides of a Strat, it's weird :D

Nice tan line too...

Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:13 pm
Currently overhauling this 1987 E-Series Squier Strat for one of my tattoo clients. He was given it to him by his dad but the switch and one of the pots is completely bunked.

Will be getting all new full-size pots (could only get Alpha this time, CTS stocks are still spotty over here in the UK), cloth wiring and a proper fender 5-way. Frets have been polished, body cleaned and the bridge de-gunked. Just waiting on parts.

It's been about 20 years since I saw the insides of a Strat, it's weird :D

Nice tan line too...

i have a feeling i bought the last 2 in the uk when building my 70's jazzmaster replica with how hard they were to get a hold of.

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JSett » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:44 am

s_mcsleazy wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:32 pm
i have a feeling i bought the last 2 in the uk when building my 70's jazzmaster replica with how hard they were to get a hold of.
I've been okay for 1meg solid, I have a source for those but I needed 250k split metric shaft...and they seemed to be hard to find. No matter, Alpha will be fine
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:09 pm

jackalope sticker arrived. still waiting on the neck

kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kifla » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:51 pm

Finally get all the things going on in my Houston shop....
...so did some test template cut. :)
Now, I need to make myself familiar with Houston's hardwood stores. :)

kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kifla » Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:21 pm

Black Bakelite tele guards...

and test cuts of Marauder Type II plates from the Bakelite leftovers.
Switches aligning nicely!

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:16 pm

I guess I should have put this post here, my bad. Deleted original post. :-[

After my not-so-great modding effort of my Squier Paranormal Offset Tele with disastrous routing mishaps, I decided to do a reset.

I've bought a new one in Oly White and the only plans for it are to swap out the bridge pickup with a Fender Custom Shop Texas Special bridge. I'll likely leave the stock neck pickup as it sounded really nice. I'm going to keep it Offset Tele-licious. :P

UPDATE: Squier Paranormal Offset Tele got lost/stolen by FedEx. I see it as a sign from the Universe telling me to move on. So I'm waiting on my refund.

UPDATE 2: FedEx actually found the Squier Paranormal Offset Tele after stating it was lost and gave me a call. Should arrive tomorrow. Refund request canceled. Universe is giving me another chance. ;)

Anyhoo, so I thought - what am I gonna do with these TV Jones T90 pickups? I decided on doing a Cabronita build since the pickup routs are a perfect fit. I acquired the following:

All Parts Fender-licensed Cabronita body
920Custom T3W-CAB Wiring Harness w/Concentric Volume/Tone Controls & 3-Way Pickup Selector
Decoboom Tort Mars Red Cabronita pickguard and backplate set
Callaham American Standard Hardtail Bridge with Specialized Brass Tele Saddles for Bigsby in case I ever decide to add a Bigsby, which, at this point, I'm not.
Fender Nickel Vintage Tuners
Allparts Electrosocket Telecaster Chrome Jack Plate
Fender Original Vintage Telecaster Ferrules set
Fender Vintera Mod '50s Roasted Maple Telecaster neck

I have spare Tele/Strat string trees and spare blank neck plate, but I might splurge on a Decoboom neck plate...

I'm still waiting on the neck, tuners, and bridge but hopefully they'll arrive this week or soon after.

I decided to keep it easy by using General Finishes Water-Based Blue Moon Milk Paint. It's a little darker than my General Finishes Water-Based Halcyon Blue that I put on one of my Tele builds. I basically did a wash with distilled water as the grain on the body is quite nice. Although the paint is a bit on the darker side than expected, the grain shows through, so I'm happy with it. No topcoat needed as it is self sealing. I applied the paint with a clean t-shirt. While a bit messier, I like it's application over a paint brush. Paint looks better applied with no brush strokes.

I initially would prefer to go with cream pickup covers but I do have black as well (see photos). The only reason I would consider the black is that it will match the black backplate that the cab body came with. Unfortunately, the Decoboom Tort Mars backplate is too small. It fits on the inner cavity ledge but it's a mm or 2 shy of a snug fit. Maybe I could get some black rubber binding or something to fit around the edges. Otherwise, the stock black one will have to do for now. Maybe I can find a cream one down the road.

It might look a bit scruffy as I just did some high grit sanding to get rid of some of the shiny bits. Not that I mind the scruff, I like its beachy seaside look.

I'll update when I have the rest of it put together. So far, I'm super happy with how it's going :) ... except for the minor bummer that the Decoboom backplate isn't a perfect fit. :(

What is your preference on the pickup cover choices? Do you have any recommendations as to still make use of the Decoboom backplate? Maybe I could affix it to the black one that does fit...that could work.. :whistle: ...nope, plates together aren't flush with the body. :fp:

Wired up yesterday. Received and installed tuners for neck today. Forgot what a pain in the neck it is to install the ferrules and tuner screws.

Now just waiting on the bridge to string it up and install the string tree.

UPDATE Rest of the components arrived. Had to enlarge the pickup selector switch hole with slightly less than ideal results but works. All put together, everything works and plays great - super happy with it.

Last edited by Surfysonic on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

Surfysonic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Surfysonic » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:04 am

Anyone interested in seeing a first attempt at a re-tolexing project? I've been watching some great YT How-To vids on the topic and decided to give it a go. If it's recommended that I make this its own thread, I'll gladly oblige.

Helpful recommendations are always welcome. :)

I have a new (old) '63 Fender Showman head that was re-tolexed by a previous owner in brown tolex/oxblood & gold grillcloth and I love it. Only problem is, my 15" Tone Ring Cabinet that I'm pairing it with was done up in blonde tolex/wheat&gold grill cloth and I'd prefer they matched.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the cab is a modern custom cab build that I commissioned from Beaver Bottoms - http://www.beaverbottoms.com/PRICING.HTM.

The blonde tolex is lifting on the top at both sides, so I decided to give it a go. I'm taking a lot of photos to keep track of how things were and record the progress.

1. Dismantle Cab

Front

Back

Tone Ring/Baffle - Front - Already removed the wheat&gold grillcloth before deciding to post about this project. It was a tedious effort in staple removing. :squint:

Tone Ring/Baffle - Back

JBL D140F speaker. I bought this in a pair deal - someday, I'll probably put the other speaker in a combo build. Not sure of the date, serial #45467. Other speaker's serial #45250. I understand they are difficult to determine date. I'm totally guessing maybe 1964 for both. :whistle:

Amplified Parts Tolex Glue 1 gallon. Water-based. I understand the stronger, non-water-based glue may be better, but I don't want to deal with the fumes and reviews said this stuff will do the job and allows some time for adjustments when placing the tolex. I think I'll likely need that...a lot. Little disconcerting that there is no label on the container. At least they included instructions.

The lighting might not display everything accurately but the new tolex and grillcloth match the head's tolex and grillcloth. Yay! :w00t:

2. Remove tolex from back panel with heat gun...carefully...

Currently working on this today. I'll update with photos soon.

How soon is now? :P

Blonde tolex removed from back panel and cab. Fairly simple job, taking it slow & careful. Used my Wagner heat gun on the low setting and kept it moving as to not overheat any particular part of the tolex. My trusty Warner 5-In-1 Painter's Tool was very helpful in seperating the tolex from the cab without damaging the tolex.

I'm saving the blonde tolex to help with cutting the correct sizes for the new tolex per cab section and back panel. Also for reference, I took photos on my iPhone of the old tolex corners and such so I know how to repeat the process when putting on the new tolex.

Next step - sanding back panel and cab to remove old glue.
Last edited by Surfysonic on Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The doofus formerly known as Snorre...

kifla
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kifla » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:05 pm

Still making templates...
...this time Marauder I :)