This week at Copacetic Customs...

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

This week at Copacetic Customs...

Post by copacetic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:21 pm

Howdy everybody!

I've had a busy week since returning from a brief Christmas vacation visiting family in my hometown.. Thought I'd treat you offset fanatics to some of the amazing guitars I've had the pleasure of refinishing/putting together in the new year for customers. I'll refinish practically any guitar a customer sends me, but this week was a special treat in that I've finished up a custom Musicmaster/Jag Hybrid in Sherwood Green nitro, an Electric XII in Willow Mist nitro, Allparts/CV Jag in Sherwood Green nitro, and an AVRI Jag in Aged Sonic Blue nitro, all within days of each other. All three have serious mojo and to be honest I just wanted to gush over them online for a bit ;D

Enjoy!

Willow Mist XII:

Aged Sonic Blue Jag:

Vintage-spec Allparts neck / VM jaguar w/ mute install:

Sherwood Green Musicmaster:

Secret Lavender Metallic Jag Bass:

Follow me on instagram if you'd like to see more cool offset refins and builds like these in the future!
Last edited by copacetic on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Owner/Operator - Feelgood Guitars

JSett
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: This week at Copacetic Customs...

Post by JSett » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:47 pm

That Willow Mist is a cool colour
Silly Rabbit, don't you know scooped mids are for kids?

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:36 pm

johnnysomersett wrote:
Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:47 pm
That Willow Mist is a cool colour
I agree, I plan to put it in regular rotation lol

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:05 pm

how did you do the bridge for the xii? is that a toronado and gotoh? did you file down the saddles? I am building one too and have paused at my bridge options.

these are all spectacular though. i was going to do a dark green metallic belinda stang and this pushed me over the edge.

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:28 am

Hey. that Willow Mist Fender XII is mine! I should be getting it soon. He's in Austin, I'm in Houston. I'll be selling it relatively soon. I don't need 2 Fender XII Partcasters. I chose Willow Mist to represent aged Ice Blue. It came out killer.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:16 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:28 am
Hey. that Willow Mist Fender XII is mine! I should be getting it soon. He's in Austin, I'm in Houston. I'll be selling it relatively soon. I don't need 2 Fender XII Partcasters. I chose Willow Mist to represent aged Ice Blue. It came out killer.
Hope you're loving it man! I appreciate your business :-)

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:46 pm

Howdy again ya'll!
I see a few people have made threads for their builds/projects so I figured I'd turn this into that, best to keep it all centralized right? I figure I'll make the thread title make sense by updating weekly (or as close as i can get to it) with whatever i happen to be working on/finishing up! I also think I finally figured out how to post images on here so hopefully that will make it much more interesting to browse :-)

For starters, this week I finally finished up a finish repair on this Shell Pink Super-Sonic I refinished for a customer last year. UPS decided to chuck it around really nicely before delivering it to her, so we were gutted to see the following deep wounds:

I didnt take pics of the process of filling the gouges in the paint, but I used a homemade epoxy solution that dries hard enough to be sanded smooth to get the shape of the edges back. It worked out nicely, although there were some slight dips i didnt fully fill that ended up being verrrry slightly visible in the finish, but it ultimately looks like it never happened.

Next up, I recently finished up this shortscale Jag Bass in a color i call "Cosmic White" which is a white base coat with a magenta/green colorshift pearl paint sprayed over the top. Looks white until the light hits it, and depending on the direction of the light source, it turns green or magenta. Pickguard and headstock painted for a monochrome kind of look. Sold within a day on Reverb!

Also finished up my buddy's first run Jag Stang in Aged Lake Placid Blue nitro.. another one that comes alive under direct light!

And a wacky Shell Pink Polka Dot G&L ASAT Classic... (sorry for the non-offset content)

And finally, arguably my favorite completed project of the week is this 2012 VM Jazzmaster (Rosewood) refinished in sparkly Charcoal Frost Metallic nitro. The finish checking and worn in relic vibe on this one is insane! Threw on a Fender tremolo and mustang bridge, some upgraded electronics, gave it a full shielding job to quieten it up, and of course gave it the "copacetic treatment" setup with rolled fingerboard edges, polished frets, neck shim, the list goes on.. This one is currently available on Reverb but it has been getting crazy attention and may not stick around long.

Anddd an honorable mention for this "kush green sparkle" JM thats getting ready for its final few coats of clear ;) which guard do you guys prefer? Parchment or White Pearl?

Thanks everyone for scrolling with me! Hope to update you all with more cool stuff soon, but you can keep up with me on instagram if youd like to see what i post on my story daily (progress pics, etc.)
https://www.instagram.com/copaceticcustoms/
Last edited by copacetic on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pscates
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pscates » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:58 am

I LOVE that white short scale bass, and the 3-for-1 shifting paint approach. Gorgeous, even when just white.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:23 pm

Parchment on the green sparklemaster.

sal paradise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sal paradise » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:14 am

Wow. These are all stunning.

That colour even makes the Jagstang shape look appealing.
I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion?

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:21 pm

sal paradise wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:14 am
Wow. These are all stunning.

That colour even makes the Jagstang shape look appealing.
funny, ive had a lot of people say this same thing to me regarding that jag-stang haha. All credit goes to my friend Tyson Zarria who picked the color out for one of his favorite guitars! He dreamed it up i just sprayed it haha

Thank you all for your kind words on my work! More coming in the next week or so :-)

Flurko
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Flurko » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 pm

Loving the colorshift paint. Is it particularly hard to use ?

Also well done for the shell pink supersonic repair, it must be heartbreaking when something like this happens to your work.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:57 pm

Flurko wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:31 pm
Loving the colorshift paint. Is it particularly hard to use ?

Also well done for the shell pink supersonic repair, it must be heartbreaking when something like this happens to your work.
yeah it gutted us both pretty badly when it happened. Thankfully i had insurance on the shipment and UPS didnt fight me on paying us out for a full refin/repair to fix it up, so i got paid for my work fixing it, and the customer didnt have any extra cost for the repair, other than the time it took for me to fix it. It really could have been much worse.

And no, the colorshift paint isnt particularly hard to work with, not compared to other paint at least. Like any paint, there are a few technique things you need to know in order to get a nice smooth finish and avoid issues. it does take quite a bit of material for the effect to show up this intensely on white, it shows up way more on a black or a colored base, but i thought the white/colorshift was a cool, classy look!

Here's another peek at a project im clear coating tomorrow-- Squier CV Jazz Bass in Purple Pearl over White. The customer saw the jaguar bass from last week and wanted that same look, but with purple pearl only, which i think looks amazing!

rbrcbr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rbrcbr » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:28 pm

N0_Camping4U wrote:
That's real cool, I've been itching to get my hands on an Alt reality xii and have it refinned in nitro with a matching headstock, cool to see one already spec'd out. Definitely interested once you put it up for sale.

Great work on the refin's, OP. I always see your work on Reverb and get stoked seeing nitro refin'd Squier stuff in custom colors. Keep up the good work.

copacetic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by copacetic » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:44 am

rbrcbr wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:28 pm
N0_Camping4U wrote:
That's real cool, I've been itching to get my hands on an Alt reality xii and have it refinned in nitro with a matching headstock, cool to see one already spec'd out. Definitely interested once you put it up for sale.

Great work on the refin's, OP. I always see your work on Reverb and get stoked seeing nitro refin'd Squier stuff in custom colors. Keep up the good work.
Thanks man I certainly plan to keep them coming, plan on branching out into more Fender/boutique level stuff in the future but the squiers are always quick sells so you'll definitely see more of them as well!

Let me know if you ever wanna scratch that itch on refinning an Alternate Reality XII, Im always down to experiment with new custom colors etc.