MJT Quality Issues?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: MJT Quality Issues?

Post by JVG » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:05 pm

ryandennis wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:14 pm
The most frustrating part about the project is that I actually reminded them to look over the original issues whenever they do the quality control after they told me it was going over there to be checked and packaged. I also caught the crooked lines in a picture they sent me and pointed out that issue before it even left their shop. They assured me that quality control looked it all over and everything is great lol.
So the big question now is where to go from here, with regards to this particular project.

The reality is that, if you send it back to MJT for another refinish, you will likely wind up with a bunch of similar problems once again. In light of this, i would:
* send the body back, and ask them to swap it for an unfinished body.
* send the pickup covers and control plate back, and ask them to send the correct items as agreed originally.
* then send the neck and (unfinished) body to a reliable third party (e.g. copacetic) for finishing. If the MJT finish on the back of the neck is ok, you should be able to get away with sanding off the front of the headstock, and just refinishing that section.

Obviously this approach is gonna cost more, but at least you can be confident of getting a good result. I fear that persisting with MJT for a refinish might be banging your head against the wall.

Anyway, this is just what i’d do - i hope you can find a good resolution.

Cheers.

ryandennis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryandennis » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:51 pm

I appreciate all of the comments from everyone, it is reassuring to know I'm not over reacting and that this really is unacceptable. I did the math and I have over $1300 into the build from MJT. The neck was $475 from musikraft and the body, hardware, and paint was $840 from MJT. Really unfortunate that not only their paint has been bad and their hardware situation whack but they tore up a brand new neck by missing the nut with the chisel and scratching the rosewood across multiple frets.
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:46 pm
I used to have great luck with MJT. Then I began to hear more and more horror stories. I've since went to Copacetic Customs, who is on this very forum. Guy is better, cheaper, and even more of a joy to work with. Hell we BS and text eachother now. So I'm sorry to hear of your frustrations. The control plates and the aged pickup covers is beyond ridiculous. Especially after you emailed them about it.

The good news is... What color is that? It does LOOK stunning.
I took a look at his work and saw that he is located a few hours from me, I'm in DFW and he is in Austin. I may very well have to take it to him after getting all this sorted out. This color is sherwood green! I will say out of all of this the only thing they got right was the color, it is a shame that the rest of the guitar looks so bad because they really did nail the sherwood green.
JVG wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:05 pm
ryandennis wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:14 pm
The most frustrating part about the project is that I actually reminded them to look over the original issues whenever they do the quality control after they told me it was going over there to be checked and packaged. I also caught the crooked lines in a picture they sent me and pointed out that issue before it even left their shop. They assured me that quality control looked it all over and everything is great lol.
So the big question now is where to go from here, with regards to this particular project.

The reality is that, if you send it back to MJT for another refinish, you will likely wind up with a bunch of similar problems once again. In light of this, i would:
* send the body back, and ask them to swap it for an unfinished body.
* send the pickup covers and control plate back, and ask them to send the correct items as agreed originally.
* then send the neck and (unfinished) body to a reliable third party (e.g. copacetic) for finishing. If the MJT finish on the back of the neck is ok, you should be able to get away with sanding off the front of the headstock, and just refinishing that section.

Obviously this approach is gonna cost more, but at least you can be confident of getting a good result. I fear that persisting with MJT for a refinish might be banging your head against the wall.

Anyway, this is just what i’d do - i hope you can find a good resolution.

Cheers.
I think you are right, if MJT can't get it right twice then they may be more likely to just tear it up further the 3rd time. Looks like another vouch for copacetic so he is looking like a good option. I honestly wish I could sent MJT back this whole mess for a full refund and move forward with a different builder, sucks having $1300 tied up in such a situation where somebody is going to have to fix their mistakes at my cost.
https://linktr.ee/newheroesband

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:08 pm

Yeah man, I'm in Houston, since you're about as close to him as I am - when he ships stuff to you, you get it next day. Copacetic is the absolute man. He does it all. I can't say a bad thing about him.
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

ryandennis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryandennis » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:17 pm

After reaching out to MJT about the issues this was the response.

All I can really say is damn, how's that for customer support :wacko: .

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:27 pm

One of the most frustrating scenarios is when a vendor’s idea of “good enough” doesn’t align with yours.

I had that situation happen recently with something entirely unrelated… it became clear that while the other party could recognize my issue once pointed out to them, they clearly thought it was NBD and that I was being unreasonably picky.

I can be tolerant of a lot of things for myself, but this was something required to do work that would reflect *my* level of professionalism, and I tend to set a pretty high bar in that situation.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:48 pm

So, the essence of what they do is hide mistakes whenever they happen.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:38 pm

It didn’t used to be this way. They did a great job for me on several occasions, including my current longtime Tele (14 years, now). I’m not sure what’s happened because my experiences were nothing but positive, with top-notch work (which is saying a lot because I’m pretty picky about aesthetics and craftsmanship). It sucks to hear that might not be the case anymore.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

HNB
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HNB » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:52 pm

I think it depends on who you get. Payton has done most of my orders with MJT and I have never had any issue and they have always made my projects the way I have asked and went above and beyond fixing any problem I might have had. It sounds like the rep you are dealing with isn't as helpful as Payton has been. Maybe it is the luck of the draw with what employee you get.
Christopher
Lilith Guitars

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:19 pm

tribi9 wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:48 pm
So, the essence of what they do is hide mistakes whenever they happen.
Hence their focus on 'relicing'.

I mean, we've surely all seen enough real vintage finishes with pubic hairs layered into the clear coat to appreciate that level of detail.

What a great company. ::)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:15 pm

That hair thing is just disgusting. Both in a literal and figurative sense. Really blown away by how bad this whole thing has turned out for OP.

ryandennis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ryandennis » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:24 pm

Here is the email chain following my last post for all who are interested in seeing how this shit show is going:

I'm shocked that they are possibly willing to sand out the scratch in the rosewood but nothing else. The body has got completely dismissed by them. Their solution to my missing paint is to dent the guitar :fp: . Honestly don't even know how to reply to that. As for painting the sides of the fretboards is this even true? I have an all original 64' musicmaster and the sides of the nut/frets/clay dots/rosewood aren't painted at all.

øøøøøøø
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by øøøøøøø » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:10 pm

Yikes. I hate this for you. What a drag

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:18 pm

What Brad said. :fp:
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:27 pm

Yep.

As above, everything about this fucking sucks.

I hate to say it, but (and reiterating JVG's excellent post upthread from 27 November) I think if you want this sorted properly (meaning not fixing obvious lack-of-care issues by 'fixing' them with dents or other deliberate damage :fp: ) you're going to have to eat the cost and get someone else who comes recommended (like copacetic, and if he's too busy both myself and others will vouch for Guitar Mill) who can actually produce a high quality/new/non-reliced finish, and, y'know, actually mask the edge of the damn headstock properly (even I can manage this FFS and I'm a complete gumby when it comes to refinishing things).

>:(
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

hulakatt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hulakatt » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:35 am

Yeah, gotta agree that chasing down MJT to actually fix this correctly is barking up the wrong tree. I can say that BloomDoon does excellent refin work, I have a JM body that they painted in a lovely charcoal frost.
She/Her