Anyone seen a Bass VI tort guard like this before ?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Anyone seen a Bass VI tort guard like this before ?

Post by unsui » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:43 pm

Hello All,

I stumbled upon this while looking at vintage sunburst VI’s to compare to my Squier VI.
I love the lighter color, it seems to make the sunburst almost a four color.

Any ideas appreciated, cheers !

Light Tort Guard
Finish the task

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone seen a Bass VI tort guard like this before ?

Post by Axolotl » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:18 am

Ah yes, the faded vintage tort!. While I've never seen one in person I've seen several in pics here in OSG and other guitar groups. People tend to agree that those guards are discolored by prolonged sunlight exposure. Spitfire guards seems to nail that look quite well:

Spitfire Faded Guard

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:03 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:18 am
Ah yes, the faded vintage tort!. While I've never seen one in person I've seen several in pics here in OSG and other guitar groups. People tend to agree that those guards are discolored by prolonged sunlight exposure. Spitfire guards seems to nail that look quite well:

Spitfire Faded Guard
Ahhh, so cool, thanks !
Yeah sunlight makes sense, I’m loving that look on that orange Jag, and the JMs on that thread.
I just ordered a mint one for my JMJM so that’ll stay, but maybe one also for my sunburst FSR Thinline Jag…!
Finish the task

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 pm

Axolotl wrote:

Spitfire Faded Guard
Whoa, those Spitfire guards are spendy - any other options you’re aware of ?
Finish the task

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:20 am

unsui wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 pm

Whoa, those Spitfire guards are spendy - any other options you’re aware of ?
Yeah, spitfire guards cost a pretty penny but they are the best (regarding vintage looks) by far. Maybe check out lavaguards? I read good things about them here in the forum, and they are less expensive. I don't know if they offer the faded look though. Good luck!

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:28 am

Cool, thanks !
Finish the task

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:24 am

Axolotl wrote:

Spitfire Faded Guard
I reckon the guard in question might have started out life paler than normal. If it was faded to this extent from UV exposure, i would have expected the red in the sunburst to be pretty much faded out also.

It’s abeautiful looking guitar, either way! Love those early VIs,

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:23 pm

JVG wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:24 am
Axolotl wrote:

Spitfire Faded Guard
I reckon the guard in question might have started out life paler than normal. If it was faded to this extent from UV exposure, i would have expected the red in the sunburst to be pretty much faded out also.

It’s abeautiful looking guitar, either way! Love those early VIs,
That’s a fair point re the red also fading out, as I just learned that in sunlight red fades faster than other colors. And yeah those early VIs look so great !
I might just buy a cheap guard to prop up in my East facing window and see what happens.
Finish the task

Axolotl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Axolotl » Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:13 am

unsui wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:23 pm

I might just buy a cheap guard to prop up in my East facing window and see what happens.
I don't think it's gonna work, as vintage guards were made of celluloid and modern ones are plastic and they react very differently to sunlight. Newer plastics are much more resisting to UV rays. In any case let us know how it works.

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 am

Axolotl wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:13 am
unsui wrote:

I don't think it's gonna work, as vintage guards were made of celluloid and modern ones are plastic and they react very differently to sunlight. Newer plastics are much more resisting to UV rays. In any case let us know how it works.
True, you’re probably right. I was also just thinking about plastic on cars fading, but that’s years long exposure.
I think I’ll buy some tort picks and try a few different strengths of water/bleach soaks.
Finish the task

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:36 pm

Axolotl wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:13 am
unsui wrote:

So the budget tort guard arrived today, it’s similar to its eBay pic, definitely much lighter than my VI’s stock guard.
Looks a bit cheesy in hand, not terrible when I lay it over the top of the strings.
I’d post pics, but using Imgur doesn’t seem to work on here.
Lots of photobucket pics on here, is that the most forum friendly on here ?
Finish the task

efiug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by efiug » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:49 pm

imgur works but you have to be directly on the image itself which the website makes a pain in the ass sometimes.

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:56 pm

efiug wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:49 pm
imgur works but you have to be directly on the image itself which the website makes a pain in the ass sometimes.
Definitely a pain - I’ve been trying to just post a link from the Imgur app, and no luck - the website recognizes that I’ve got the app on my phone, and wants me to open it.
Can’t even find the option to login on the website via my phone.

Guess I’m getting photobucket
Finish the task

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm

I use nothing but the Imgur app on my phone, you just need to access the image URL itself.

To do this, open the album, then tap on the individual photo itself. You'll see a row of white icons. The rightmost is an arrow. Tap it, and you'll see it's a url ending in the image file format (eg .jpeg). Tap "copy URL."

That's what you paste here.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

unsui
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by unsui » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:25 pm

Embenny wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:22 pm
I use nothing but the Imgur app on my phone, you just need to access the image URL itself.

To do this, open the album, then tap on the individual photo itself. You'll see a row of white icons. The rightmost is an arrow. Tap it, and you'll see it's a url ending in the image file format (eg .jpeg). Tap "copy URL."

That's what you paste here.
Thanks for this - do I need to select image in the pop up window on here to post a pic instead of the link ?

https://i.imgur.com/J35vJfQ.jpg
Finish the task