v3.0 Mustang HS (Jagstang)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

v3.0 Mustang HS (Jagstang)

Post by Futuron » Sun Apr 02, 2023 12:35 am

I got sick of my Mustang being way too quiet despite trying the pickups up here, down there & everywhere, and despite using higher amp volume to compensate they also sounded fairly 'weak' (too thin etc), probably standard fare for a Mustang, but none of my other guitars are so disappointing. Neck is really nice (2019 American Performer), and I'd refinished the body to fix the anaemic colour, so I needed to make the guitar enjoyable to play.

Original body (2019 Classic Vibe): (so-called sonic blue)

Refinished final result here: (classic duck egg)

The clear coat has since aged (in 3 years). Guitar is no longer so blue, it's now quite grey. I bought electronics from the recent Jagstang to replace the Classic Vibe ones, I figured that getting a full package of better pots, knobs, switches & pickups would be easier than just trying to get a better sound from who-knows-what fiddling. The original electronics might all be weak links, who knows. The original knobs don't tighten properly either - just keep spinning around. >:( Some don't like the white covers and would change them anyway, even though I'm fine with them, and also the original pickguard wasn't too bad, but I like the new one more. Incidentally I would've preferred white switches on it, especially with white pickups & arm.

However, first the body needs altering. Can't fit a humbucker in that space, and the plate holes don't all line up - the pickguard was far from being a close fit. A bit of body trimming & 'encouragement' was required. Because I was impatient and didn't have the proper tools with me, I set to the wood with a hammer and flat-head screwdrivers. Also, I hate tunnels, so I converted that. Look away now if you have a weak stomach...

So once I had a multimeter, drill & soldering equipment and enough time to get at it, I put in some new holes for the pickguard & control plate and hooked everything up. Thimbles were loose in the body, so I put tape around them. That meant that the grounding wire needed to come up further and contact the vibrato plate instead of the outside of the thimble. I needed to drill another hole for that (no photo).

Final version:

Sounds much better, looks much better (even though I wasn't really concerned about that). I might even use it!